First attempt isnt going so well

GoldenMotor.com

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Hello everyone. Im new here. My name is Denny and I live in the Pittsburgh Pa area. I received my first engine yesterday and spent the night trying to figure it out since it didnt come with any instructions. The company I got it from gave me their instructions via online download but they were extremely limited. They called it an 80cc but said it is actually a 66cc if that helps describe what motor i have. It took me about 4 hours to get it all together. I mixed the gas and oil and peddled about 20 feet and let off the clutch and it started right up. I took it about a half mile and it stalled. I then realized that the choke was on the whole time. I obviously dont know much about these and should have got help. I peddled the bike back home and cleaned the carb and attempted to start it again. It sounds like it wants to start then I get the occasional POP noise. It just wont start. The spark plug gap is .020. I cleaned that as well. Ive read through some other threads and dont really understand some of what Im reading. I saw something about a CDI. I dont know what that is. Also I saw something about disconnecting the kill switch. I dont want to do anything else until I hear from someone on here. I dont want to make it any worse. Also. there is a screw with a spring on the carb. I was told by a neighbor that it is a fuel/ air adjustment. Any advise on adjusting that?
Thank you
Denny:-||

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
You can test for spark by removing the sparkplug and earthing it while rolling the bike with the clutch out. If it sparks the kill switch is ok.

If you are using the standard carby with only 1 screw, that screw is only for adjusting the idle. To adjust the mix you need to move the clip up or down the needle.

Check for airleaks and spark and try again IMO

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Its the standard carb. What clip do I move on the needle? I just checked spark the way you said and its not getting spark. I saw someone on here said to use a better plug (NGK) so Im going to do that tonight. How do you check for airleaks?

generallee

Oct 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
wen i first got my motor all together i had similar problems too - i'd peddle and try to start it and try and try again, i got a new sparkplug, a NGK bh6, put that in and it started right up

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Got the ngk plug today. Still no spark. I checked the connections from the magnetoto the CDI. THe connectors are garbage so I replaced them. Still has no spark. Im going to check the wires from the magneto for current right now.

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Ok. Im Getting current from the white but not the blue. If I use the white instead of the blue I get spark. I dont want to try and start it like that cause Im not sure if its ok. Anyone know?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I'm still trying to figure out how you got from riding the bike, having it stall out because you had the choke on , to having no spark.
Yesterday I had my wires crossed and did not ruin anything so as to your question about trying the white wire, I say , wouldn't it be interesting to find out if it works!
Is your spark plug wire screwed in OK? Maybe have a look at both ends to make sure the wire is making contact when screwed into place.
Are the wires OK where they solder onto the Maneto behind the cover?

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
I dont know. I tried several times to start the bike after discovering the choke was on and it was getting spark. It sounded like it was going to start but just wouldnt. It made a light backfire sound and doesnt even sound like it wants to start now. Also, I noticed that the hole the magneto wires come out of is threaded but there is nothing there. No rubber or anything and I see that people are saying to seal that. I may have got some water in there because I was trying to start it after it rained and the streets were still wet. The wires are ok behind the cover. I tried to start it with the white wire hooked up but it did the same thing. I probably destroyed something yrying to start it so many times. I got it from boygofast but he wont return my calls. Ill most likely just have to start replacing things to see what it is.

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Well, I work at a machine shop and decided to take the bike there today and work on it at lunch time. I took the cover off that covers the magneto. I dont know much about them but I just wanted to have a look since the shop is heated and well lit. When I removed the cover, 3 pieces of magnet fell out. The key maybe? Not sure. The round part that spins is damaged. There is a crack in the metal and there looks to be some seperation that might have been caused by a force. Im not sure what would have caused this but if anyone out there knows, please let me know. If its something I caused, I want to replace it. If its something with the making of it, I want to use my warranty. Also, can I replace just that part?

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
Thank you very much. Very helpful and sounds logical. The key is broke in 3 pieces so i guess Ill need that. Im going to contact the seller and see where it goes! Hopefully Ill be up and running!

Denny5178

Feb 27, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
bike motor 004.jpg

bike motor 005.jpg

I got the new magneto today and pulled the old one. I took a couple pics and attached them. I cant believe how much damage there is to this. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I put the new one in but dont want to try it until I find out if There is something I should do before trying.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bummer Denny, sorry to hear.

Sounds like your getting a handle on it and you'll be up and running soon