Firmstrong Urban Build

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
This is a bike ordered by our local surf shop. They will add a surf board rack to it. It is pretty much stock from the box. Used the typical rag joint and all associated parts.

I used the SBP front U bolt mount. I upgraded the springer front suspension with all american bolts. The springer bolt was bought longer and I added a nylock to end of that. That fit well! The cross suspension bolts are upgraded as well. The upper fork bolts were exchanged from the standard zinc to "grade 5". Those bolts had a nylock added as well. As you can see I added a few mirrors. I needed to go to a thinner 415 chain bought from Pirate becasue of the beefy tires. I sprayed all gaskets with copper gasket as well as the head gasket. I also used some black RV sealant to the manifold where it enters the carb. I replaced plug wire and plug cap and went with a NGK B6HS.

All and all the install was a clean build all I really needed to do is cut the rear fender for clearance on the chain a bit. I did have a clutch issue as it did not disengage at first. However, after searching here I found that it was just grease stuck and broke that bond and she is good to go.

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Thanks guys and yes interesting you both mention two things I am concerned about. The first build on the 3G exactly that happened with the front fender. Fortunately it was plastic and just shattered. It broke off where the rivets go in about center just under the front forks.

This one is metal and I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Regarding the chain tensioner I have been racking my brains to come up with a way to secure it better. The 3G bike I have has the same set up and I have been lucky with it to have stayed in place.

Any thoughts on securing the tensioner? I have some thin rubber strips I thought about using wrapped between the securing point then using some high graded bolts and nylock nuts and really tourqing her down. I figure as long as the bolts stay tight she wont slip with the rubber in place.

I am going through the build this week and triple checking everything before delivery, adding nail hardener to all non mechanical thread bolts/nuts, and rethinking any safety issues like these that may arise.

When the surf shop sells the bike included in the price I offer one hour (or so) reviewing break-in, maintenance, and safety with end user.

If anyone has any thoughts about the two issues above speak up :)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Tensioner issues are fairly well covered in this recent thread.

As for reinforcing the fender, alot of folks have had good luck adding another bracket on the other side of the fork and some have added safety wire or zip ties to catch the fender and prevent it from spinning around if the mounts do break.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yea fired her up today and she started right away. I needed to lower needle valve one notch but after that she ran out great. Gunna run a quart of gas through it then bring it to the surf shop :)

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
That is an excellent looking build.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the 415 chain. It's good to have something tough that won't snap as easily.

I was having the same trouble securing the tensioner, and I used a method I saw on these threads. I drilled a small diameter hole (I can't remember exactly what size :/ ) through the tensioner, the arm, and out the other side. I screwed in a thin bolt to match the hole, and tightened a nut down on it.

I haven't had another issue with it, and it hasn't moved a millimeter since.

There are much less invasive methods on the afformentioned thread, but this one worked for me.