ManiFold: 80cc offset 40 mm intake
Fuel Line: 3/16" Blue Polyurethane
Everything else stock
Fuel Type: 87 Unleaded
Oil Type: 2 Stroke Marine Grade
Oil Ratio: 16:1

Question 1: Can i use car oil if so what is the best oil to use
Question 2: what is the best ratio to use on these CG/HT engines
Question 3: i have to pedal quite a bit to get the engine to start even after priming but i have seen people able to just give theirs a tiny push or even a bump and some just spin the tire and let the clutch go to start it, how can i tune mine to where it starts this easy.

Also is there anything else i should be notified about to get more power out of these 2 stroke engines.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hi, lets answer these in order....

#1... No don't use car oil, only use '2-cycle' oil (marine oil isn't good in air cooled engines because they run at very different temps), make sure the oil you have says it's for them!
#2... just mix the oil & gas at 32:1 ratio. (4 oz oil per gallon)
16:1 way too much oil & is a very old recommendation.
#3... the engine will get easier to start the more it's broken in (& also as you get better at it)

Don't worry about getting more horsepower yet!!! Wait until the engine is fully broken in before monkeying with it. ;)

Reactions: RVDKiller

RVDKiller

Jan 28, 2019
I'm pretty sure the engine is broken in i have drove is all summer twice a week on a 44 miles a week total

but thanks for all the info it is very helpful

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
From my Ultralight Airplane days API TCW3 was the gold standard rating to look for on 2cycle oil. Ratio? What the engine manufacturer recommends.
Tom from Rubicon
Use it in my chainsaw too.

Reactions: RVDKiller

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
From my Ultralight Airplane days API TCW3 was the gold standard rating to look for on 2cycle oil. Ratio? What the engine manufacturer recommends.
Tom from Rubicon
Use it in my chainsaw too.
The Chinese manufacturers have been recommending 16:1 in these engines since the beginning...
We figured out many years ago that they're wrong... 32:1 is now the 'standard' (or even up to 50:1 is acceptable depending on the quality of oil you buy)

RVDKiller

Jan 28, 2019
Thank you all for the info, the min the weather clears up i will flush it and put in the correct ratio

RVDKiller

Jan 28, 2019
I think there may be a air leak somewhere because when i pull the clutch in it will rev up to the point it will force it self off or i have to choke it to kill it i even tried to mess with idle screw, also it has gotten boggy/slow, what kind of gaskets do you all recommend?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Norm & Tom are on the money & this coming from a guy who has always run a bit heavy on the lubricant...ash free synthetic lube turned me around on the subject, yet I'm still probably over lubricated at 32:1 on my modified China girl's. They do hold up really well though. Running 50:1 with synthetic really wakes up my motors that run reed valve, piston window with extra jug port, but day in and out I've stuck closer to 32:1 mix. I'm still an old fuddy duddy on some of this stuff, but do think I'll start using 16:1 on a day to day basis in my most ridden bike...I think the motor will hold up... if not if not I'll rebuild and go back to 32:1.

Also Norm has handed out most excellent insight concerning these little motors over the years & I'd suggest anyone listen carefully to his advice...old timers as well as new comers...just because we've done something for years and gotten away with it doesn't necessarily mean we've been doing it the best way!

Tom I've also found the hard core rc guys know what's up with the micro motors.

Rick C.

Last edited: