Fear of cheap chinese engines.

GoldenMotor.com

Apr 28, 2022
Hey !

When I was a kid I used to have one of these pocket dirt bikes (50cc), you needed to crank it with a handle (https://nl.made-in-china.com/co_oks...cooter-2-Stroke-Kids-Dirt-Bike_heoreeihy.html).

I drove it a lot (for fun, and it was fun) but then while doing a corner the back wheel stopped directly and threw me off the bike. I was really scard and like (what the heck just happened).

I was lucky I didn't get injured which could have easily been the case when it went a bit different.

Then I opened the engine because I was mad and didn't understand what was going on. Then I saw that a part inside the engine was broken and caused the bike not to be able to spin the wheel any longer.

Now I really like the idea of putting an engine in my bike (I think it's really cool). But can this also happen to these engine kits? Or is the design different which allows the wheel always to spin ?

Best regards,
Richard !

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The unexpected can always happen. All one can do is try to discover a way to reduce the chances of it happening again.

The second link actually has the pictures.

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Hey !

When I was a kid I used to have one of these pocket dirt bikes (50cc), you needed to crank it with a handle (https://nl.made-in-china.com/co_oks...cooter-2-Stroke-Kids-Dirt-Bike_heoreeihy.html).

I drove it a lot (for fun, and it was fun) but then while doing a corner the back wheel stopped directly and threw me off the bike. I was really scard and like (what the heck just happened).

I was lucky I didn't get injured which could have easily been the case when it went a bit different.

Then I opened the engine because I was mad and didn't understand what was going on. Then I saw that a part inside the engine was broken and caused the bike not to be able to spin the wheel any longer.

Now I really like the idea of putting an engine in my bike (I think it's really cool). But can this also happen to these engine kits? Or is the design different which allows the wheel always to spin ?

Best regards,
Richard !
Don't worry about the engine making you wreck
It's the cheep Walmart Bike your gonna use that will kill ya

Building your own M/B means safety is your responsibility
Build a safe strong M.B

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
What the previous comment said about the bike itself is true. But to add to that. The 2 stroke kits are directly hooked to the wheel once the clutch lever is released and will lock the back wheel if the motor locks up. The 4 stroke kits run thru a small centrifugal clutch and will not lock the wheel. That said as long as you have properly built, broken in, and premixed the oil for the 2 stroke the chances of seizing the motor are tiny. And in normal riding even if it does seize you unless you happened to be in a turn or on gravel combined with an extremely slow reaction time you should be able to pull the clutch or simply skid to a stop and not crash. In somewhere over 200,000 miles on motorcycles I have had one motor seize when I was 12 years old. It's seriously not something to think about.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry