Fat tire Build

GoldenMotor.com

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina
Hey, new to the site, fairly new to building bikes. After lots of reading I've decided to go with a motorized fat tire bike. I wanted more of a cafe racer look, but i also want fat tires, and the old cruiser type mountain bikes just dont have fat enough tires. anyway, heres the build. Also, please let me know if theres a better place to post this.

bike > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=8F3X8DZ7V0GME2A6SH07

stuck between these 2 motors. One is faster, but one has more torque. Which one should i go with to get the most speed, longevity, and 0-40 the fastest?

motor 1 >gasbike.net/products/gt5-pro-racing-66cc-80cc-angle-fire-slant-head-bike-motor-kit
moto 2 > https://www.gasbike.net/products/raw-racer-ii-100cc-bicycle-engine-kit

so this is the article I've been going from.
https://steemit.com/howto/@maxstacks/how-to-build-a-motorized-fatbike-for-usd500

The only issue this dude found was that the rear sprocket needed to be modified because it was to small for the fat tire bike. Stating that the motor kit wasnt designed for a fat tire bike. He ended up using a rotary saw to widen the hole. Im wondering is there any alternative to grinding it with a rotary tool? can i just buy the right sprocket size and avoid getting all savage on it ? Can some one send me a link to an alternative ?

The only other issue was that the the chain was rubbing against the rear tire, easy fix he just purchases a slighty smaller back tire. Not a big deal.

Anyway, hows this build look ? Any other modifications i should prepare for ?
Specifically speaking of the rear sprocket issue.

Also, aside, from the build, theres a choice to order the motor pre assembled, i was planning on going that route and making sure its properly put together with intent, and also take it as a great learning experience.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks again

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The only other issue was that the the chain was rubbing against the rear tire, easy fix he just purchases a slighty smaller back tire. Not a big deal.
Think one of the co's. offer a offset mount, moves the motor to the left to clear the tire. It has been done before here on the forum.
Check out the bike when you get it, sprocket maybe fit as different brand. Local machinist may be able to help with it if needed.........Curt

Reactions: breath_easy13

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum! This is where fun begins and part of that is the learning curve & one post can't cover it.

I like the look of the bike you're looking at buying, but I'll suggest the article you mention can't be a hard and fast guideline for building a motorized fat tire bike. The Mongoose bike is a coaster brake that's why he cut the hole out in the sprocket to clear the brake lever. The bike you are looking at is a rear disk brake setup so no need to enlarge the hole in the sprocket, but the disk brake creates a very different problem & vastly more difficult problem for mounting a drive sprocket to the fat tire rear wheel.

There are other problems that need to be addressed as well & chain to tire clearance is one for sure, but the frame your looking at seems to have more space to mount the engine than the Mongoose in the article.

Have fun and ask questions it's a process and good news is it can be done using either bike frame.

Rick C.

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Good choice, think all the 2 strokes are the same, so any one should fit. Maybe some else will confirm ...........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I like these frames and have built motorized bikes using them. They ship those wheels with 1.95" x 26" tires for a reason...they work...going bigger with tires requires a bit of work. Motor/frame combination with the 100 motor just call and ask the vendor Zeda 'cause they sell both the bike and that motor your asking about (along with others). I know the GT 80 motor fits the frame fine.

This frame is really easy to motorize & the wheels that are shipped with this bike make setting the bike up really easy with the 1.95" tires. Good first bike project. Front suspension and disc brake are a plus as well...really inexpensive way to get rolling!

Rick C.