Fastest mountain bike I have built!

GoldenMotor.com

bobo60

Nov 23, 2019
This is a reply to those who fear using lightweight aluminum frames due to cracking issues.
I bought a used Diamondback Outlook mountain bike. All aluminum frame and as light as my road bikes.
I put a Zeda Firestorm YD100 kit fromBicycle-engines.com on it and it will hit 54mph on a
flat road for almost 2 miles. The YD is a torque monster, so even with a 36t rear sprocket, You can take off from a
standing start with little or no clutch slippage. It goes up hills and grades without missing a beat, and is
fun on the trails as well as the road. Here also is a video of it going on the street, and a spin on a local bike trail,
and then on the expressway.
20200630_205049 (1).jpg

MoonLitCreeper

Aug 7, 2020
Nice bike,
Debating on motorizing my cannondale killer v500.. Its pinky weight and made with aerospace aluminum.. Would probably be better than my fuji mx600 series.. But the frame on the cannondale is really thick so id need bigger motor mounts, which i dont have atm. But its a sound idea lol

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
This is a reply to those who fear using lightweight aluminum frames due to cracking issues.
I bought a used Diamondback Outlook mountain bike. All aluminum frame and as light as my road bikes.
I put a Zeda Firestorm YD100 kit fromBicycle-engines.com on it and it will hit 54mph on a
flat road for almost 2 miles. The YD is a torque monster, so even with a 36t rear sprocket, You can take off from a
standing start with little or no clutch slippage. It goes up hills and grades without missing a beat, and is
fun on the trails as well as the road. Here also is a video of it going on the street, and a spin on a local bike trail,
and then on the expressway. View attachment 106321
Can't tell from the pictures where's your speedometer or bicycle computer? Only looks like a cellphone is on it.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Can be as much as +/- 10 mph.
I’ve used several apps in a truck before and found them to be within 1 to 2 mph. wish I could remember the main one I used to use. Got a new phone recently and will have to go find it. Not saying they are great, just my experience wasn’t bad.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Here’s the one I used to use:

Speed HUD

For IOS:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here’s the one I used to use:

Speed HUD

For IOS:

Bicycle computers are cheap and much more accurate. Most generally require a millimetre circumference entry. Simply put a level on your front tire and measure to the ground for the true diameter. Mine is actually 26 1/4". Multiply by ⚻. If you took the measurement in inches divide the circumference in inches by 25.4. Then enter that number into your bicycle computer.

Example:

26.25 × ⚻ ÷ 25.4 = 2095

Last edited:

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
BTW, I tried the speed HUD app on the way home last night. It was off by 2 mph, in the current truck I was driving. I find vehicle speedometer‘s not to be accurate amongst each either also.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
BTW, I tried the speed HUD app on the way home last night. It was off by 2 mph, in the current truck I was driving. I find vehicle speedometer‘s not to be accurate amongst each either also.
The only true way to test that is with a radar divice. I'm not talking about the ones on the side of the roads either. Those are purposely set to show a higher speed with the belief it'll slow traffic down some. Generally a motor vehicle's speedometer is set up for a particular tire and air pressure. Change that and it affects your speedometer accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Nice bike,
Debating on motorizing my cannondale killer v500.. Its pinky weight and made with aerospace aluminum.. Would probably be better than my fuji mx600 series.. But the frame on the cannondale is really thick so id need bigger motor mounts, which i dont have atm. But its a sound idea lol
The Cdale Killer V is a classic, so I wouldn’t motorize it. Find a nice steel mountain bike to motorize fort trail riding, I MHO.

Reactions: MoonLitCreeper

MoonLitCreeper

Aug 7, 2020
The Cdale Killer V is a classic, so I wouldn’t motorize it. Find a nice steel mountain bike to motorize fort trail riding, I MHO.
Eh it was a thought for power vs weight ratio.. As of now the bike im running is a Fuji Mx 460, which is chro-mo but still light. With the killer V the down tubes are really thick so id have to make a special mount for the motor, which i dont really want to do. Tbh it was just a passing thought, when i saw this post i was like "what if" lol

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
My bad there, you multiply by 25.4, sorry need more coffee lol

Example:

26.25 × ⚻ × 25.4 = 2095.
If you have a metric tape measure it's even easier, just place the front wheel with the valve stem down on a flat surface with at least 10' roll out forward clearance, mark the point on the ground where the stem is. Then roll the bike forward until the stem is at the bottom again and mark again. Measure the distance in millimeters or meters in length between the marks with your metric tape measure. And enter it into your bike computer. It's how we did in bike shops ever since the Avenir and Cateye cycle computers came out in the 1980's.

Reactions: Nightster

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you have a metric tape measure it's even easier, just place the front wheel with the valve stem down on a flat surface with at least 10' roll out forward clearance, mark the point on the ground where the stem is. Then roll the bike forward until the stem is at the bottom again and mark again. Measure the distance in millimeters or meters in length between the marks with your metric tape measure. And enter it into your bike computer. It's how we did in bike shops ever since the Avenir and Cateye cycle computers came out in the 1980's.
Very inaccurate method. Just being a few millimeters off can alter your results.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Very inaccurate method. Just being a few millimeters off can alter your results.
As to can different tire pressure also result in a different diameter. Not to mention the squish factor of weight and knobby tires. your method if you get it off by a few mm gets multiplied by Pi. Having checked my bike's trips to the listed distance, I'll take a system that has worked for bike shops for decades. Thanks anyways

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
My
As to can different tire pressure also result in a different diameter. Not to mention the squish factor of weight and knobby tires. your method if you get it off by a few mm gets multiplied by Pi. Having checked my bike's trips to the listed distance, I'll take a system that has worked for bike shops for decades. Thanks anyways
I have a technique for true diameter. First, you have the rider sit on the bike that's held perpendicular to level ground. Place a level on the tire where the sensor is. Once you have a level reading measure to the ground. That's your true diameter. My 26" Kendra fully inflated tires are 26.25". Then it's simple math with a final result of 2095 instead of 2075.

Just because some bike shop(s) have been doing something a certain way for a long time doesn't mean a person can't develop a better way of doing it.

Last edited: