F_Rod's HF99 BTR

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Looking forward to seeing it finished, Frank. Are you sticking to traditional black? Can't go wrong with black. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Tom
It will be black until all the work is done and I can decide on a color; at the same time your right about black. I just realized today that the seatpost is seized in place pretty good and cut off just about flush with the housing. Hopefully I can get it out without damaging anything. I always appreciate your help, I might take you up on your offer. I need some small welds. Maybe I can drop the bike off with you for a few days?? I'll PM you with the details closer to that time sir :)

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The wheelbase looks a tad long because the rear isn't adjusted or tightened. The forks are just there more or less. For some reason the headtube on this frame is for a 1 1/8" headset and not the traditional old fashion 1". Not a big problem, I prefer 1 1/8'', but now I need to buy a headtube reducer so I can use my monark forks. Overall, this is going to be a fun project.
The frame does have a odd bearing cup size.I have every type out there and had no luck.I bought mine from the same guy on Ebay.I sent him a message and explained my problem..He sent me out the correct bearing cups.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The parts have arrived from Troy (chainmaker). All I can say is that this is a well built unit originally from Pat @ Sportsman Flyer. Install was fairly easy, just greased the frame and hit it in with a rubber-mallet. I really like the snap ring design, this crank can definitely withstand anything we'll put it through. The only draw back is that I'll need to use a #41 chain on the pedal side; very heavy duty but it does add a little weight... oh well.

Reactions: chainmaker

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't you just love those 'Priority Mail' boxes? They always contain the neatest stuff.
Looking good, Frank. Let's hope for an early spring. And I don't know about you but I've had enough of this wind!

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
So, a local rider has decided to try and copy my previous Schwinn build (hence the new roadmaster project). Going for the complete look he was set on getting some monark forks regardless if I had them. I figured I can make some money off this guy and decided to sell them to him for almost what I paid for them. Good, he's happy, I got my money back, everyone's bike will look different...

No more monark forks.

I decided to toss the headtube reducers needed for the monarks. Now, I'm back to the stock headset. Old style mixed with modern technology :) 1 1/8" threadless BMX forks paired up with some old truss rods. I had to mill the truss rod mount hole because it was intended for a 1" threaded headset, not 1 1/8" threadless. I think it looks great, more btr, it's very solid and smooth with the sealed bearings.

Now the weather needs to cooperate so I can paint the forks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks better every time I see it. We'll be watching Frank. Good work on the fork. What are you going to to to that chrome to get paint to stick?

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Well we got the first 70 degree day since mid November; so I was able to get some minor painting done on the forks. The chrome was nice, but was a little to much for me :). I'm still waiting for my gas tank from ghetto bikes. I'm getting a little ancy for it... it's been a few days longer then he said it would take. Hopefully this week sometime.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice looking build for sure. You should be able to run a standard BMX bike chain on the pedal side front sprocket or a 41 or 415. I always just use a 10' box of #41. One box does both sides and having matching chains looks cool, too. When you get ready to attach your front brake torque arm to the fork I saw someone use a billet aluminum seat post clamp around the fork leg the add a longer bolt through the clamp. The excess bolt then is used to anchor the torque arm. Looked cool, too.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Nice looking build for sure. You should be able to run a standard BMX bike chain on the pedal side front sprocket or a 41 or 415. I always just use a 10' box of #41. One box does both sides and having matching chains looks cool, too. When you get ready to attach your front brake torque arm to the fork I saw someone use a billet aluminum seat post clamp around the fork leg the add a longer bolt through the clamp. The excess bolt then is used to anchor the torque arm. Looked cool, too.
Thanks Pat! I think I'll just run a 41 chain like I was thinking. It's strong and like you mentioned having matching chains will look cool. I'm still up and down on what to use to attach the brake arm. That is a good idea I will keep it in my back pocket.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I just got the bike back from my friend Tom (2door) last night. He did an excellent welding job for me this week. Helping out with the seat tabs and motor mount so I can get this thing finished and riding finally. I can't Thank you enough Tom, thanks again. Here is what it looks like as of today, should start making some serious progress now. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OMG, Frank, that rear seat bracket weld sure looks better in person than in that photo. The lighting makes it look like chicken droppings :)

And you are quite welcome, sir. Should be a good riding season. Looking forward to seeing that bike on the road.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
OMG, Frank, that rear seat bracket weld sure looks better in person than in that photo. The lighting makes it look like chicken droppings :)

And you are quite welcome, sir. Should be a good riding season. Looking forward to seeing that bike on the road.

Tom
I agree, the pictures don't do justice. I think I'm going to put some putty like your we're saying and make it look even better. That and then mask and paint tomorrow... weather is going to be good.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Okay!! The bike rides very smooth and solid as a roller. Now everything is in place and ready to be completed :). Mainly, I just need to do the little things to get it complete: (cables, exhaust, ect). The 2 major things that need to be addressed are: I need to receive my gas tank from James @ ghetto bike. Second, I need to figure out how I'm going to secure the front drum brake arm. I have read about "p clamps" as well as hose clamps failing; and I don't want to be in that category and have you guys read about my failure some day. There are a lot of ways to do it, which way will be best for my bike is the question??? I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Let me know what you think so far...

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
I have an idea for a nice clean bracket. Too bad we didn't explore it a little further when I had the bike down here.

If I had just the fork and the wheel I'd make the bracket. What is the width of the slot in that arm. If I recall it was about 5/16 to 3/8" ? And how much room between the arm and the fork? Any, or does it touch?

Tom