Extending muffler outlet with copper tubing?

GoldenMotor.com

Courtney Hook

Aug 24, 2008
My muffler exhaust is getting on my clothes, and by the time I get to work I reek like 2-stroke exhaust. I was thinking of taking 1/2" soft copper tubing and extending the small exhaust outlet back along one of the rear wheel frame mounts? That would add about 18" of tubing to the muffler and hopefully move the point of exhaust away from my clothes. Anyone ever tried this?
Thanks,
Courtney brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Courtney,
I had a post here somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it. I'll repost the photos and hopefully they will help you a little. I wasn't worried about smelling like exhaust but I was having trouble with the oil getting on my rear wheel and brakes. I use 1/2" copper street 45 degree fitting.(A street 45 is small on one end, see the comparison pic) I made a slice in the small end, similiar to the way your carburator mounts to the intake, and used a small adjustable hose clamp to tighten it to the muffler extension. My goal was to aim the exhaust away from the rear wheel but in your case it will be a way to add a copper tubing extension. If you have access to a tubing bender ( cheapo available at Acr Hardware, Home Depot Etc.) you'd be able to make very nice bends in 1/2" soft copper to make the pipe fit wherever you want it. When everything fits together to your satisfaction slice the pipe like I did the 45 degree fitting, or use a fitting if needed and solder them together. (Use 95/5 solder, higher temp than 50/50 and stronger) There isn't enough heat at the outlet of the muffler to effect the solder joint. Make a clamp to hold the rear of the pipe or use rubber coated steel hose clamp and you're done. Hope this helps.
Tom

Attachments

Courtney Hook

Aug 24, 2008
Many thanks 2-Door! Excellent idea, especially the cut and clamp setup. This is exactly what I'll do. I've got the tubing now, so I'm going to experiment with length. I'm being told that it may affect performance, so will try out different lengths to see what happens. After that, a nice coat of stealth flat black and it should be pretty much invisible.
Take care,
Courtney

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I might try it too,hopeing it will make the bike more quiet,
i bought 2 ft of 1/2 copper pipe and a few fittings and clamps,but the 1/2" pipe is bigger than the muffler outlet tip.
what can i do ???

Last edited: