Exhaust threads stripped !

GoldenMotor.com

lilchunkyboy

May 12, 2021
hi, I have a 80cc 2 stroke engine that i have have ridden for a few months now. In general almost everything is going well, just yesterday noticed my exhaust was quite loose. I went to tighten the bolts and it just wouldn't tighten. The bolts i use are allen key bolts that has worked really well for the past few months. I flashed a light to the thread holes to see they are completely stripped. I cut some a bolt in half and used them as studs,i hammered it into the holes. for a moment i thought i had fixed it, when tension came when tightening the nut as it should, it twisted the bolt with it... I have posted this because im quite stuck on what to do, helicoils ? any ideas on for a quick fix

i am considering riding with no exhaust... :confused:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can thread the holes with a larger tap, use studs with thread locker, the low grade aluminum won't last long if you take the exhaust on and off much. Always add a hanger at the rear of the muffler, that will save the studs from stress and flex.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
1/4 28 (fine thread) is the next size that is possible, aluminum needs fine threads. Use a bottom tap, it will thread all the way down as the name applies.

Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
1/4 28 (fine thread) is the next size that is possible, aluminum needs fine threads. Use a bottom tap, it will thread all the way down as the name applies.
Not sure where ya heard that Aluminum needs fine threads?
I would suggest tapping the stripped 6mm bolt hole to 1/4" x 20 as the threads are more course and hold better than 1/4" x 28 fine thread

Tapping a stripped 6mm threads to 1/4" x 20 is a common fix in aluminum M/C cases
Courser threads are less likely to pull out - especially exhaust threads

Last edited:
Reactions: mapbike

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If all the threads are pulled out this may not help, anytime I’ve tapped aluminum I’ve had better results using NF taps, and since the fine thread is slightly larger I thought it might have enough bite to hold.

lilchunkyboy

May 12, 2021
used a tap and die set. tapped the holes and and inserted the studs,then screwed the nuts on. The exhaust seems to be holding up fine, need to reinforce the rear of the muffler.

Reactions: Greg58

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
I am just throwing this out there...

I used those aluminum brazing/welding rods to fill the holes with and retapped them on a friend's bike and it worked great.

But they arent cheap. Helicoil or Retapping larger or buying a new one would be cheaper and faster.

Elterrible

Sep 24, 2021
Drill them out and heli coil. Only way to solve it for good. I did my intake, exhaust, and mounts