Ethanol killing small engines

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by bamabikeguy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jasonh

jasonh New Member

I love how the gubmint will issue a decree saying we have to use X amount of renewable fuels by X year...when we really have no real good renewable solution yet.

Pfft.

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy New Member

Last Minute Hope To Kill Ethanol Mandate?

Today's NYTimes offers hope....

Heck, we could get that eight/nine billion gallons from Brazil for cheaper, plus contract for sugar in the Carribbean....Big Sugar is worse than Big Oil.

3. D.J.

D.J. New Member

In the 70s ethanol research was in full swing here in Canada . The conclusion was that it was too dangerous to use in cold climates . One of the byproducts of burning ethanol is the creation of arsenic . This arsenic is not easily dissipated in cold weather . Now with ethanol production in full swing no one has mentioned arsenic . Were they lying to us then or now ? ..... D.J.

4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy New Member

I just heard on NPR - "hundreds of thousands" of gallons of biodiesel just spilled, closing 30 miles of riverway , (Mississippi or Missouri) A barge/tanker full of fuel collided with it, cut it in half.

Can you imagine the backed up parade of barges behind them, after the floods shut them down for weeks???

"Bumper-barge" comes to mind.

I always heard they couldn't pipeline it, so what is the guy in the NYTimes guy claiming???

#24 bamabikeguy, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. jasonh

jasonh New Member

ugh. I hate that stuff.

All that mandate is doing is DECREASING out fuel efficiency. Ethanol is only 70-80% as efficient as gas, so obviously you need to pump more of it into the motor to get the same energy production.

I've heard people saying that when they run their "flex-fuel" vehicles on E-85, they get the worst gas mileage ever.

I just love blind mandates. Can't wait till the "XX% of new cars in 20XX have to be hydrogen-powered" mandate. That'll be a fun one to deal with.

6. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy New Member

Ooops, that was a Weekend spill above, here's todays....

Turning Old Man River into a bio-sewer.

7. jasonh

jasonh New Member

Good times.

Hazardous chemicals should not be shipped down waterways that communities use for their drinking water. I know it's a very important river, but still.

8. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy New Member

Well, the first part of this experiment starts in typically Unscientific, Click & Clack Puzzler, Alabama Bogus Fashion.

I have about 1 and a third gallons of pre-mixed 87 proof corn syrup, and I'm too cheeeeeep to toss any of it.

So I empty one of the gallon containers, pour the Stihl oil in the bottom, off to the Holly Pond Chevron to purchase some 91. (91+87) / 2 = 89 octane. RiGHt?

10 mile scamper through the hills, pull up proudly to the Chevy Tahoe who just pumped in $135.

Imagine my puzzlement, three brands 87, 89, 93. 93??!!

Throw away all the math, life is too short.

So, until I use up this Lime/baloney type eyesight mix I'm going to make, testing of true/fresh 89 octane sugar water will be a few days away.

9. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

(^) Live large 'bama! You should have pulled out all the stops and got the 93! It's my birthday afterall!! :protfl

10. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy New Member

Well, we have ALL THIS JELLO left over from the Exodus of the past few days....

So, I'll stick a candle in the leftover 1/13 of a gallon of whatever the heck is at the bottom of the can, and wish you at least ONE MORE birthday in the future.:D

11. Jstude

Jstude New Member

DANG! My weedeater gas is last years! No wonder it smokes so much!

12. jasonh

jasonh New Member

man, I wish I could get 93 here. My car loves 93. My car LOVES 110 too, but that's hard to come by and uber expensive.

13. Down_South

Down_South New Member

I've read places that claim ethanol breaks down 2 stroke motor oil. Is there any truth to this? and if so, how is the situation resolved?

14. muddybike

muddybike New Member

My car has a thing for Huskey 94 but yeah its 10% e, the best part is with 94 i can bag on my car like no tomorrow with 0 kr , anyone that says octane dont make a difference has never had a turbo or a supercharged car!

15. give me vtec

give me vtec New Member

best thing you can do is shut the petcock a few minutes before you want the engine to shut off. I essentially run all the fuel out of the carb before I shut the engine off. that way the ethanol doesn't juts sit in the carb. if I know I'm not going to ride a bike for a while, I run all of the fuel out of tank so that it doesn't get stale. 3 weeks is about as long as I let any gas sit... mixed or not.

I know exactly when to shut the petcock on my way home to coast into the driveway... with an empty carb.

I haven't had any problems yet with any of my small engines.

16. littleman456

littleman456 New Member

My local gas station sells "non-oxygenated" gas which is just another name for gas without ethanol. I have found that around lakes or anywhere boating is popular smaller independent gas stations seem to have it.

17. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

Burning corn juice is like making love in a canoe... its damn close to water.
    buzzard

18. Down_South

Down_South New Member

I took the last of the "corn juice" mix and used it in my JD Tractor. The weedeater owner's manual said the engine was not intended for use with corn juice. <--that rhymes ;) I need to find a station that has compatible fuel and fill up my 2 gallon container. I hope the engines are alright, only time will tell. If I get bored sometime, maybe I'll pull the crank cover and see what's going on in there. Wish me luck, cross your fingers and say a prayer! LOL :D

19. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't had any problems with the engines, but, keep an eye on fuel lines, especially rubber or neoprene hoses. The alky will cause premature deterioration of rubber or neoprene...and some plastics. I've replaced the fuel lines on my lawn mower, hot rod and snow blower because they were turning to goo. (All gasoline available in Colorado is corn juice)
    I was warned about this from Hagerty Insurance Co. who insures the hot rod. Sure enough, about a month after reading their newsletter on the subject I developed a leak in one of my car's fuel lines. There is hose available that is compatible with ethanol but it isn't cheap.
    Tom

20. Techbiker

Techbiker New Member

I had to replace all of the fuel lines on my 300zx because they all started stiffening and leaking (likely from the Ethanol). At more than $2 per inch for fuel injection hose the costs here can add up!