Engine won't turn over

GoldenMotor.com

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Oh take the right side cover off and make sure theres nothing jamming the gears. If the engine is seized and you can't get ahold of the seller, you might as well head over to This Thread since you got nothing to loose but time and you might as well turn that time and money into a learning experience. If you do end up pulling the head post picks I'm curios. First thing I did when I got my kit a few weeks ago was pull the head since I read a few horror stories about things being in there that shouldn't. Lucky I did to, I got a black kit and the only thing that wasn't painted was the cylinder wall. Lets just hope you get ahold of the seller and get a replacement. How long ago did you email the store? Have you tried to find out if his ebay store has the same name or use the name in the email and try to mach it up to an address near the one given for snail mail?

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Lucky I did to, I got a black kit and the only thing that wasn't painted was the cylinder wall.

I don't get it what did you find in the cylinder?

I don't think Norman mentions the size of the head bolts.. I need to go buy a socket what size do I need? And will I need to buy/fabricate a new gasket as well? I've never done that before. When I pulled the clutch plate off the gasket kind of broke in 3 pieces but I just smooshed it back on there.

If it's fixable, I believe I can fix it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A cheapo dollar store socket and wrench set will work fine for you until you can afford a better set.
If you do the following it will void your warranty.
Choose wisely.
Besids your screwdriver, you will need 2 crescent wrenches and the spark plug tool that came with your kit.
1. Remove gear case cover.
2. Using spark plug tool, determine which end of it fits the nut in the center of the small gear. Remove nut from center of small gear.
3. Pick out toothed lock washer from center of gear if it did not come out with the nut.
4. Be sure threads cut into the recess of the little gear are clean from debris.
5. Be sure threads on little tool are clean from debris.
6. Unscrew center screw from little tool.
7. Be sure that threads on center screw that you unscrewed from the little tool are well lubricated. The factory oil is only there to prevent corrosion, it is a lousy lubricant, do not rely on it. (Use engine oil, axle grease, bacon fat, lard, anything but the factory applied anti corrosion oil.)
8. One end of the tool will fit into the threads cut into the recess of the small gear.
Determine the best fitting end. Thread the tool into the small gear straight and true. Be very careful as it will easily cross thread.
Keep turning the puller tool until it bottoms out. That should take up about half of the available threads on the little tool. If it is only threaded on 2 or 3 threads, it is not enough., If you try to use the tool that way you will only bugger up the threads as the tool slips out under pressure. It should go all the way in with finger pressure, no wrench needed. If not, carefully use a wrench to seat it all the way in. It does not need to be tightened very tight at all, just threaded in deeply.
9. Hold the tool with a crescent wrench adjusted to tightly fit the flat sides of the tool. Do not let the tool turn during the following procedures.
10. Screw in the now lubricated center screw that you previously removed from the tool.
When the center screw gets tight, use the other crescent wrench to tighten it further. Keep turning it. The gear should slide right off of the end of the shaft.
11. There will be a small half moon shaped piece of metal in there as well.
It is called a woodruff key. It fits into a notch cut into the shaft and a groove cut into the hole in the center of the gear. Be careful not to loose it as they have a habit of dropping on the floor and getting lost.

12. Now, you should be able to pedal the bike around with the clutch engaged as the clutch is disconnected from the engine's crankshaft. If not, then the problem is not inside the engine, but in the clutch shaft/ clutch spring/ bearing (s) assembly.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
small drive gear turns ,,as in pedal the bike w/the clutch in,,so the drive to the clutch is ok,,,,,is the small Crank Shaft Gear on the clutch cracked and jamed in the large clutch gear teeth,or is there slight back and forth play in the large clutch gear,,,if not,its in the main engine case w the crank and piston,,

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ok, based on further reading, I now agree with the verdict of seized piston, or seized crank/ connecting rod bearings.
For a brand new engine, this is a sad day indeed.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Before you pull the head, how long has it been since you emailed the seller? Give him a few days to get back to you. Don't forget to check your spam filter his reply may have ended up there. Try a few more times just in case it got lost. Then if that fails call him at work. It took less than ten minutes to find this guy using the name in the email address and the mailing address listed on the ecrater store. If he claims its not his store tell him your contacting ecrater to have the store removed for using false contact info and that he should do the same if he doesn't want anymore calls like this. He owns or runs a car dealership 2miles from the mailing address. He seems legit but he is a car salesman so goodluck talking him into a replacement.

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for doing the research. Yeah, he finally got back to me yesterday... We'll see what happens. Hopeully I can get a replacement or something.. :oops:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for doing the research. Yeah, he finally got back to me yesterday... We'll see what happens. Hopeully I can get a replacement or something.. :oops:)
Please keep us posted and let us know how this seller treats you. It's always good to pass this kind of information on to fellow members so they will know the kind of people they're dealing with. Thank you.
Tom

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Sent the motor back today. $40 in shipping costs! I could have paid $20 but then I'd have to wait an extra week. I asked him to replace this plastic piece. If he doesn't, is it a problem? I'd assume their would be less air intake, and less power.

Attachments

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Well the motor arrived back at the seller's address Friday.. still waiting haven't heard anything yet, and it's Wednesday afternoon. I'll be happy when I get the bike running, that's for sure.

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Well I finally got a UPS shipment notification for the new motor today. It will be here hopefully in 6! whole days I can't wait. I'll be sure to post a new thread _when_ I get it all set up. I don't know if I would recommend this seller, he seems hard to get a response from.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you for keeping us posted of your progress with this seller and your engine. Also let us know if you need further help getting the new one going. At least you've learned a lot and maybe it will help.
Tom

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Got the engine back yesterday, still haven't gotten it to start. The tire still rolls & it sounds like it wants to start, and I have spark, fuel is getting to the spark (16:1). Got up to a decent speed before throwing the clutch. Kill switch wires unhooked & taped off. Idle screw is 4 turns out.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, try working the throttle a little as you pedal. Have you-
Primed?
3/4 choke?
Crack the throttle when you drop the clutch.

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
dance1Poured everything out of the tank, remixed 32:1 and it started right up. and yes, priming, throttle and chock helped as well! thanks everybody for your help, I'm calling it "Junior" because it's the 2nd engine. A long life to Junior!

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I had a fun few miles, but ran into some clutch problems. I cracked the small bevel wheel, and tore whatever key was holding them together, so the clutch won't engage. So I can rev the engine, but it doesn't move the bike and it won't idle. The spark plug got awful oily even with 32:1. I guess I need a new http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-part-small-bevel-wheel-2466-prd1.html and a new woodruff key?

Last edited: