Engine Whinning

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
My engine makes a lot of noise a lot of like whinning, it is probably somewhere in the gears because. If you pull the clutch in and reve it up it goes away. When you excellerate with the engine under load it is bad. I put about the amount of a lima bean of grease on the gears rode it did it some more took the cover off and put more on it same amout about a lima bean amount you can see in the photo how much. I probably should put it on the whole big gear hu? putting it in that spot on the little one probably makes it so it only gets a little bit on the big one hu? About that much rode it that much again, should I put more. Also, Does that little gear look like it is out too far?

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Your clutch needs greasing there are three places.
1 where small sprocket which houses the pin and ball bearing live.
2 Under the carb is a bolt that holds the end of the clutch cable, main clutch spring.
3 On the right side under the clutch , and dont forget the bean sized blob on the gears.
Read this not for the adjustment but for information
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bicycle-engine-clutch-222.html

This is my second post of the same information.

If your clutch chirps or whines .
Mine complains in Chinese.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Go easy on that grease killer! It will work into the big gear after a few miles. If you get too much on them, it will get in the clutch then you'll have to clean it out.

Some bicycle motors whine more than others. I had one that made more noise than the other two put together.

As for your gear, that looks about normal to me. I just took one of mine apart to check it and it looks the same as yours.

Now, interesting story, even though the engine I just took apart has well over 500 miles on it, there is grease I put on the gears when I put it together at 0 miles and it is still in between the gear teeth like the engine has never been turned over! I guess thats the precise tolerances we are dealing with here!

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Also check to see if the clutch gear is rubbing on the clutch cover. So far 2 of my kits have rubbed. Created a little clearance with a dremel and much better. Then I put some plastic material over the clutch cover and it is pretty quiet now.

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
What is the green stuff between your cooling fins?
That's silicone tubing for supposed sound deadening the engine....it was a theory....didn't work great in practice.

My vote is for the clutch gear chewing your engine case. Easy to spot and clean up.

As for grease, what is that gray variety? Looks a tad runny. Indeed go easy - I use a synthetic grease mixed with a proprietary tackifier. A tackifier is an additive used to make the grease very sticky, to the point of stringy. It's mixed with the grease in very small quantities (because in and of itself the tackifier is not a great lube)

P

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
What green stuff? The grease is Valvoline semi synthetic grease, I took the clutch cable holder thing off the engine and put some in there too, It still makes the noise. I give Just hope eventually it stops it is a new engine maybe it will go away.
Oh, well here is a picture of my new bike. LOL, look how much oil is in the fuel filter, I thought maybe it was the rings squeeking on the cylinder. This is in photos too, I know it is kind of pink its for the wife.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Too much oil in the mix will cause you some problems in short order....go to 24 or 32:1 mix. Too much oil will cause bigtime carbon build up and ring sticking just to mention two problems. O.K. here's a third- it will make your fuel/air mixture too lean and that's not a good thing either.

If the rings were squeeking, it would only do it for a second or two before it blew up.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
What green stuff? The grease is Valvoline semi synthetic grease, I took the clutch cable holder thing off the engine and put some in there too, It still makes the noise. I give Just hope eventually it stops it is a new engine maybe it will go away.
What does it sound like with the clutch cover all the way off?

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Okay, hey thanks for the help. I did not know a lot of oil will make it lean yikes, I have not tried it without the cover, but if I put my hand on it it is the area it is comming from.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Are you sure that the clutch gear is not rubbing on the clutch cover? It typically rubs on the either the very top or bottom edge of the cover where it mates with the engine case.

I find that the clutch case is the noisiest thing on my bike which is why I made the clutch cover to deaden the sound. I have heard of people using neoprene mouse pads. I am sure it will work but not very durable. Maybe you can find a pink "Hello Kitty" mouse pad that matches the bike :)

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Are you talking about between the thing in the center or the teeth on the edge? Like the sprocket gear part rubbing on the engine case itself, mostly at 12 and 6 oclock right. It only does it when the clutch is engaged so I think you probably mean the gears on the case of the enge or cover cover shows no evedance of it hitting I will look again, at the engine caseing and the gear hitting it again in the AM. It's still doing it hoped it would have gone away by now sounds like something needs some grease I already put it under the clutch adjustment thing by unscrewing it and screwing it back in , and I put some on the gears. Any other easy place to put it?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As I've said, I had one that no amount of grease would quiet it. I finally just rode it with no problems. You can glue a mouse pad on the outside of the clutch cover to quiet it down.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I was talking about the teeth of the large gear hitting the edge of the cover. With all that grease you probably can't see if it is rubbing or not. I am not saying that it is doing it but just something to check.

Another place to try and grease is through the 3 very small holes in the clutch plate. They lead back to a set of small ball bearing. Take some grease in a tube and try and force some in those three holes.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Too much oil in the mix will cause you some problems in short order....go to 24 or 32:1 mix. Too much oil will cause bigtime carbon build up and ring sticking just to mention two problems. O.K. here's a third- it will make your fuel/air mixture too lean and that's not a good thing either.

Hey Joe, you have me confused when you mention too much oil making fuel/air mixture too lean. I add one and a haif OZ of Synthetic Amsoil per litre, which I think is being kind to my engine. Am I wrong?

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
ToyTime, 3 oz per gallon of amsoil sounds about right, in my oppinion. Ghost, are you talking about putting grease in the little screw holes that the adjustment screw is not in? Finally, How do I get grease behind the little gear? The funny thing is it only does it when the engine is engaged, clutch engaged. I thought it might be something else besides the big gear little gear because of it, but on second thought maybe big gear little gear as soon as you take the cover off does that under load because the gears are not CCed. I learned that word CCed from a mechanic, and I tried to play it off like I knew what he was talking about what does CCed mean? Ooops, I forgot only has one screw hole. What are you talking about?

Last edited:

Howitt

Jun 7, 2008
ghost, i see in your picture that along with the plastic cover on the right side you also have ribber between the cooling fins. what other successful mods have you done to reduce noise?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
If you remove the clutch adjuster nut and pull the clutch plate off you will see 3 small holes about half way between the center and the teeth. This is where you can grease the little bearings.

I haven't done any additional sound deadening other than what you see. I didn't find that the fin rubbers did very much at all. I don't think they were worth the hassle.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
OH,OH, I never heard of such a thing before but it sounds like a "must do". Are there any other spots that could use a bit of lube, like maybe on the sprocket bearing on the left side? I've never touched anything in over a year and now you have me worried.
Is the inside of our "gear box" dry, never getting any of the two stroke oil?