EDF Jet Powered Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
A different kind of E-bike...

Has anyone seen one of these? or thinking of building one of these?
It looks like a 7 blade 120mm EDF unit - 6 units. Probably with a thrust power of around 10kg per EDF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDVcecoC_f0

A low power version of this. I think this one is a 70mm EDF.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhBH2t5Z5o

The installation doesn't seem to be that difficult.

I'm thinking that this could be an auxiliary power source to augment the HT. Once you've maxed out your HT you can turn on one of these babies.

So, I'm thinking of using a 12 blade 90mm EDF units.

What do you think?

However, drawbacks are that it could be loader than your HT, if it's a drawback at all. Also, it can be expensive. And if the blades disintegrate, it will fly out like a bullet, so keep way from the sides. As you know, the vibration from the HT is notoriously bone rattling, which can cause the blades to be out of balance. Or if a big bug, or pebble gets sucked in...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Sounds way too impractical. E-bikes are not as practical as gas powered vehicles as is, considering the limitations of speed and range and the need to recharge daily depending on riding conditions. Then you want to slap on a turbine with fragile blades? Its not only impractical and expensive, its dangerous.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My point exactly. Lipo's are not the MOST efficient battery, but they are more efficient than some other types. And they will only last 10 minutes. Lipo's take awhile to charge too, because they have to be balanced. Imagine charging for 3-4 hours to get 10 minutes of joy lol. As I said, not only much more impractical than a normal e-bike, but also dangerous if the blades shatter. Sorry, but this is way more effort than payoff. I spent $800 to build my cruiser, but $2 worth of gas gets me back and forth to work for a couple weeks. Even an ht with all its woes is more practical than this.