eBike news and items of interest

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tony what's your max motor speed with your current setup? Any issues with overheating at 50mph cruise?

Rick C.
No problems with overheating unless I’m spanking a Harley two or three lights in a row (^) for this I will be getting the hub heat sink and ferrofluid to carry the stator heat to the hub shell. If you just want to cruise at 50 and maybe have a top speed of 65ish you don’t really need this heavy motor. I bet you could run the lighter mxus 3000. I sort of feel like I overdid it with this build.

Far as speed I don’t know. I just keep running out of road. The most I have ever had it on the street was 1200rpm and around 1350 on the bench.

There is a setting “rated motor speed” at around 1060rpm, which as I understand is the maximum speed with increasing torque. With the ASI controllers they have a feature called field weakening which lets it rev some more with less torque. I don’t really know too much about it and this paragraph is probably completely inaccurate. I watched a video on FW once and had a tough time understanding how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy and FOG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Tony you know I really prefer the hub setups on bicycle frames/pedals. 2 and 3 kw is where I'm working at the moment and high speed is only a curiosity with all my builds; they seldom are run much over fifty and only for short pulls. Thirty five to forty is the norm when I'm in a hurry lol, gas or electric oh wait max on any of my electrics is only thirty on one kw, so there's that!.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'd be happy with just a BAC4000 controller added to the stock bike. On a little bike like this 60-65 mph would be plenty.

Luna claims they're soon coming out with a controller that will work with both a stock 60v or a 72v battery.

There's just one tiny little problem I have with this bike, registration. The factory offers no support what so ever for getting it legal for street riding. With no pedals trying to pass it off as a motor bicycle isn't going to fly, and it looks exactly like a motorcycle anyway.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm planning to call the Texas DPS, Motorcycle Safety Department to see about if it's possible to legalize a Sur Ron, but I need to wait until Buffy's not around to have that conversation. If there's any way to do it, I'll be owning one by summer time.

I've heard rumors that there's a new model coming out at the end of February. Next in the evolutionary line that's gone from Firefly, to Light Bee, may be the Mad Bee.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks Tony you know I really prefer the hub setups on bicycle frames/pedals. 2 and 3 kw is where I'm working at the moment and high speed is only a curiosity with all my builds; they seldom are run much over fifty and only for short pulls. Thirty five to forty is the norm when I'm in a hurry lol, gas or electric oh wait max on any of my electrics is only thirty on one kw, so there's that!.

Rick C.
Yea 35-40 is the norm for me as well. But of course once you leave town/civilization all the bicycle friendly roads have 45-55mph speed limits and staying in that range is preferable for safety. Having range and especially charge speed as a major issue I have slowed down a lot. Every long ride on an electric requires planning. That’s the only part about it I do not like.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Also check out Nucular controllers (Endless sphere link). Haven’t run or seen one, however I must tell you about a really cool option they have. They can be used as a powerful step-up DC-DC converter. This means that if you have a strong DC power source of lower voltage than your battery you can use it to charge. Therefore a wide range of power supplies and chargers can be used. Level 2 charging is 240vac and must be rectified to DC anyway. But buying or setting up a reliable and powerful onboard charger for 74v is damn near impossible without a deep wallet. With the Nucular you can get the cheapest and most powerful 48v charger, or 24v, or whatever you can find cheap and just send it. 48v62a x2? That’s 6kw charge right there.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Luna got some nice stuff. I see registration coming for all of us, gas, electric ped equipped or not including tiny motors. Hope I'm wrong about this.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Most of our paved or gravel farm to market roads are 35mph unless otherwise posted, but you're correct about the danger of overtaking traffic, Tony, regardless of posted speeds.

Rick C.
I'm planning to call the Texas DPS, Motorcycle Safety Department to see about if it's possible to legalize a Sur Ron, but I need to wait until Buffy's not around to have that conversation. If there's any way to do it, I'll be owning one by summer time.

I've heard rumors that there's a new model coming out at the end of February. Next in the evolutionary line that's gone from Firefly, to Light Bee, may be the Mad Bee.
Biknut jewelry, vacations etc. (fill in the blank) are often used as ploys to purchase our toys. Then there's the full Monte grovel....

Rick C.

Reactions: Tony01 and fasteddy

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I
I've given up on a Sur Ron. I still like them a lot, but I decided I could never give up the bike trails, and sidewalks. My Stealth is better for my kind of riding.

Reactions: fasteddy