drag bikes???

GoldenMotor.com

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
I saw a post by Saddletramp, about building a dedicated drag bike, and that got me thinking...is anyone actually building a drag bike? Do people race dedicated drag MB's? I of course can't afford to build 2 bikes @ once, but I just can't help thinking about it. I have some ideas that I think would be really cool..
So, any drag bikes or drag races?

Thanx

Gonzo

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
id say if you did the sick bike shift kit would be the way to go with as many gears as you can find with a good working derailer and shifter of course. keep her in the powerband . or maybe a nu vinci hub .

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I think "drag bikes" will become a growing segment of the motorbicycling phenom because, like with cars you can tell if a change helped or hurt performance. If set up for say 1/10 of a mile-528 feet-one city block, red light to red light from a standing start. This tests everything on the bike and it's not far to walk back home when the bike breaks.

I'm going to redo "The California Kid" into a "drag bike" configuration and call it "The Inch Pincher" after a famous VW air-cooled drag car. Anybody wanna race? Happy Trails Walter F.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We should all benefit from the beefier engine mounts that the drag racers will need to develop.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Working on that very thing today! New mount must come out with engine for quick change, something like the OCC chopper, Stingray mounts and when removed with engine mounted can sit flat on bench an serve as a work stand while putzing around with my "China Girl Racin' Engine" Happy Trails Walter F.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Like I said, I can't build 2 bikes at the same time. All of the parts except the engine are cheap and/or readily available, but shelling out more money for a second engine right now just isn't in the cards. Obviously, I don't know too much about these engines yet, so I was just running over some real basic stuff in my mind...frame, wheels & tires, rear-sets, etc. I wasn't even thinking about suspensions, and I certainly wasn't thinking transmissions/rerailleurs. I did have a few ideas for some simple engine mods....but I have a LOT of study to do first.

jerseykat1

stretched bmx with a china girl crammed in, i think centrifigal clutch would be a good idea, cant see the manual clutch lasting very long on hard take offs.

matter of fact those high reving pocket bike motors would actually be the best way to go, you don't want to run out of RPM,s at the finish line...

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I would think for drag racing you'd need to use an optimized CVT to keep the engine in the power band at all times.

Racing would definitely increase the need for quality stuff.....that would be good for all of us!

Andrew

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i have a 47cc pocketbike engine and belt and gear cvt. the motor turns 7000rpms it was 99 bucks delivered. the cvt were about 25-30 bucks. if you have c/list go to free and get one or ten. lets ride. mitch