donations

GoldenMotor.com

isaac_619

Apr 30, 2021
hi does anyone have a one set of front shock forks and a gas tank that they don't need any more the gas tank i want something like that or if not just a 1 gallon tank that they could donate. i'm a 17 yrs old and and im kinda new to this and i spent all of my savings on trying to get my bike built and i just need somebody nice enough to donate anything performance related for a motorized bike i have a zeda yd 80cc 2 stroke motor. any help would help il live in imperial beach california

here are some examples

1627264460480.png 1627264539392.png 1627265259045.png 1627265481698.png 1627265791537.png

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
How about working? When I was your age, I started out as a fry cook at a drive-in restaurant and moved up to working at a tire and muffler shop that shared a storefront with a Schwinn dealer. Asking for advise is what this forum is about.
If you have a want, earn it. Your peers will respect you Isaac. If you lived near me, I would give you work to earn your needs.
Tom

isaac_619

Apr 30, 2021
How about working? When I was your age, I started out as a fry cook at a drive-in restaurant and moved up to working at a tire and muffler shop that shared a storefront with a Schwinn dealer. Asking for advise is what this forum is about.
If you have a want, earn it. Your peers will respect you Isaac. If you lived near me, I would give you work to earn your needs.
Tom
thanks but I wanna finish school first and then get a great job so I could be able to afford anything I want so working I don't think will work & besides if i work then I'm gonna have to drop out of school and I don't want to drop out

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I worked summers and after school and weekends Isaac. It's call work because it is You are going to have a difficult life if you do not cultivate a strong work ethic. It is not uncommon to work through college. My youngest son did. Joe always had ways to make a buck while getting a Political Science BA.
You have a ability to think outside the box. Use it. There is a huge shortage of labor right now.
Norm in #3 offered good advise. I am loathe to ask, but have you no parental support?
Tom

isaac_619

Apr 30, 2021
I worked summers and after school and weekends Isaac. It's call work because it is You are going to have a difficult life if you do not cultivate a strong work ethic. It is not uncommon to work through college. My youngest son did. Joe always had ways to make a buck while getting a Political Science BA.
You have a ability to think outside the box. Use it. There is a huge shortage of labor right now.
Norm in #3 offered good advise. I am loathe to ask, but have you no parental support?
Tom
thanks for the advise and yes i do have parental support but its just they want me to stick with school and finish it thent to later regret it (if you guy get what i'm trying to say) but i'm trying to tell my mom and dad that now in the suhsd you can work at 15 and go to school and all you have to do is to keep good grades

isaac_619

Apr 30, 2021
Woodbridge, Va. bedroom community of Washington D.C. on the Potomac River. If I lived there motored bicycles would get short shrift. Fishing is the money maker.
I could never take the heat, so I cooked for a Dog-N-Suds with AC.
Tom
wow you fish? that crazy bc i fish but except i fish in saltwater but ive never done a fishing competition in my life. quick question if you win how much do you get paid

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
See if you can get a job at McDonald's or Burger King, ect. I can guarantee you that after working there for a while your parents won't have to worry about you not finishing school. You will see what happens if you do quit school all around you.

Future employers will know your not afraid to work.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Spot on Tyler, Isaac lives in a place that Mid-Westerners can only dream of
wow you fish? that crazy bc i fish but except i fish in saltwater but ive never done a fishing competition in my life. quick question if you win how much do you get paid
What person born in March does not fish? On the other hand competitive fishing is time on the water, and fishing and being mentored by a guide. My oldest lives in Moyock N.C. and it stationed in Norfolk.
I can't argue with your parents intentions. Good grades if they are good enough will earn you scholarships to ease the modern day tuition burden. Your parents have a right to direct you. They invested their lives in you.
A young guy does not and should not see life as their parents do, but cut them some slack. They mean well.
You or your folks have a boat? I have a 1973 Boston Whaler Cohasset II that has only ever been in sweet water.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
There you go Isaac, now you got Steve chipping in. there are guys that will Mentor you. Just don't go looking for hand outs.
We all were you in our day. Take some time. Read the threads of the early members with huge content. You will save yourself time and $$$.
Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One thing I will say is sell the $1000 bike it would fund a dumpster dive freely or cheep Walmart build, no mater what you do your going mess up that good bike some, just. Like going to school you learn, by mistakes, and you will make them. When I was 12 I had a paper route, bought a motor bike and climbed from there……………Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Isaac, Curt makes a good point if you read between the lines of his opening statement. Curt would be another great mentor.
Dude is smart, listen to him like he is being your grandpa. I'm a grandpa too. My oldest grandsons are 19 and 20.
What are your interests in HS besides girls? You have a career to pursue?
Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I've had some interesting clients over the years. One of the most memorable was an unassuming chap who stopped in with a piece of wood from a 1953 Rolls Royce. Rough wouldn't do it's condition justice. He was sent to me by another refinisher who didn't want the responsibility of doing it.

I also started an apprenticeship with a furniture restorer weekends and holidays when I was 14 so was exposed to really good training.

We talked about what he wanted for a finish. It was a top flight restoration so the best original finish with more modern materials which meant cut and polish. Finish it, sand the finish to #800 grit and polish it with buffing compound. End finish was it looked like it was dipped in glass.

Did it and he was pleased and the next weekend all the wood was there in much better condition. The first piece was a spare he had to see what I could do and if it didn't turn out there wasn't a loss.

In the end I went on to refinish many pieces of European furniture for him. He was at a level that he and his wife flew in the company jet once a year to Europe and the U.K.for a few weeks buying antiques at the better auctions.

He and his family owned 157 large companies many of them Fortune 500. Saturday afternoons as I closed he'd stop by and we would sit and have a drink and he would tell me about what his business life was like. This was early to mid 1970's so some things are dated.

One thing I always remembered that was his #1 rule. When someone was applying for a job as a manager and above he personally examined their resume'. The first thing he looked at on the resume' was the job history that started with the earliest job the applicant had and at what age. He said many stated paper boy, many at 9 or 10 years old. Not going to happen today but did then. Then he went from there. Many didn't start until college and some not even then. He figured the parents had spoon fed them and he wasn't going to continue spoon feeding them at his expense.

The applicants with an early work history were usually hired. There was proof that they weren't afraid of work. He started working summers in one of the companies at 14 when he could legally. When he asked his Dad what he'd be doing his answer was, Broom Pilot and occasionally Mop Commander. His Dad received a report every evening on how well he'd done. His allowance amount depended on it. He said it wasn't very generous at the best of times and was heavily penalized for shoddy work.

Now I see fast food restaurants offering $15 and hour and meals. Perhaps not every where but they are short of people. Not a prime job as I said but nice pay for whatever week days you can work and the holidays. It would fund a terrific bike build if there is a restaurant near you.
Money to put in the bank to save for school and a car if you need to. Most importantly money for dates that may well come your way. Lot's of young ladies working at these places and usually out number the young men.

Not pressuring you in any way. At almost 78 my days are done but I do see some much better opportunities for younger people than we had if they are willing to reach out and grab them. I realize you need to clear it with your parents who have a completely different view of where your life is going.

Someday you may have a much wanted job in sight and there may be a had nosed job recruiter who's looking to see when and where you started work.

All the best.

Steve

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
thanks for the advise and yes i do have parental support but its just they want me to stick with school and finish it thent to later regret it (if you guy get what i'm trying to say) but i'm trying to tell my mom and dad that now in the suhsd you can work at 15 and go to school and all you have to do is to keep good grades
You are full of excuses. I started working when I was twelve years old, and I finished high school with high honors. My parents didn't buy me anything. I even had to work to get the money to buy my own class ring. I am now 60 years old, and have an AA degree. I worked through college also, and graduated with a 3.75 GPA. So get a job, and maybe it will give you a little self respect. Not to mention some respect from your peers also.

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
You are full of excuses. I started working when I was twelve years old, and I finished high school with high honors. My parents didn't buy me anything. I even had to work to get the money to buy my own class ring. I am now 60 years old, and have an AA degree. I worked through college also, and graduated with a 3.75 GPA. So get a job, and maybe it will give you a little self respect. Not to mention some respect from your peers also.
One more thing, I was 52 years old when I got that AA degree.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
thanks but I wanna finish school first and then get a great job so I could be able to afford anything I want so working I don't think will work & besides if i work then I'm gonna have to drop out of school and I don't want to drop out
I guess your to busy parting and spending all your parents money on Beer and Pot
Get a Part Time job or stop buying Beer and Pot to buy your M/B parts.

Your gonna end up living in your parents basement just like all the other collage grads with that attitude.
Surprise, that high paying job you think your gonna get isn't gonna be there. Your going to have to climb the ladder just like everyone else and start at the bottom with an entry level salary
You'll probably end up not working at what ya went to collage for anyways.

I bet your the kind of kid who got a trophy just for showing up.