DIY Welder

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I just found the coolest site that has answered all my transformer questions and is quite practical.Homo ludens electronicus the tutorial section has some cool info. Thought I would share just in case anybody else thinks winding their own transformers is a good idea.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
After doing the math I am starting to understand why buying a transformer is an attractive idea. I need 4000 turns for a primary on my first core idea...now I am looking for a different core idea, lamination make more sense now that I have seen the math.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I almost have my first primary done, it needs another 500 turns, but I tried it with the 1000 I have and it doesn't pop the breaker, and it hums like a transformer, it is wicked cool, even if it doesn't work for its intended purpose.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I finally bought a real welder. The cheap $100 wire feed from harbor freight. I did manage to make a functioning transformer from a tin can some electric fencing and wire. It was far from functional as a welder, but it was a fun project and learned also sorts of interesting stuff, the microwave unit is cool, but at the end of the day it would be nice to have something that works and I can focus on playing with bikes instead of reinventing the welder. Yes you can all say "I told you so" but I had fun even if not overly productive.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I finally bought a real welder. The cheap $100 wire feed from harbor freight. I did manage to make a functioning transformer from a tin can some electric fencing and wire. It was far from functional as a welder, but it was a fun project and learned also sorts of interesting stuff, the microwave unit is cool, but at the end of the day it would be nice to have something that works and I can focus on playing with bikes instead of reinventing the welder. Yes you can all say "I told you so" but I had fun even if not overly productive.
As Edison would say.....another success. You learned what won't work. laff

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
tazers zap you with 40,000 to 900,000 volts some with a 9 volt battery most engine powered welders are 24 to 48 volts [used to jump start dosers 24v on cold mornings with them]. its the amps that kill ya, but you know that. and 110 ac volts kill more than 220 cause it holds you wyle higher volts will knock you down hopefully. dont bet on it. being scared from the inside out is not the way to live your life i've seen it. scar tissue on the skin is one thing, scar tissue on all your organs is another.. good luck your need it. dennis

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I've done brass welding or called braising, with a 12 volt car battery, carbons out of old flashlight batteries, and a set of jumper cables--it works when you haven't got anything else for emergency repairs.
buzzard

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
off roaders have been stick welding for years with 2 batterys in fact if you google junk yard genius he will so you how to make a welder out of your car alternator and still use it to charge your battery! pretty handy and doesent cost much. he's a good guy and gives alot of his time helping people in bad times [floods twisters and the like]

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Blakenstein, I'm not the best speller, but you can do the same thing with brass welding rod and flux and a good hot tip on a torch. Some old Schwinn frames and others were built this way.
It takes a steady hand to get the brass to puddle. I've also repaired radiators using this method. But, now I prefer to use my tig welder, it takes some practice too.
I think I'm doing pretty good, being 74 years old, still riding and building bikes.
buzzard

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Blakenstein,
I think I'm doing pretty good, being 74 years old, still riding and building bikes.
buzzard
Yeah I would say you are doing pretty good. Maybe I will still be riding in 10 years if I take after my Grandfather, he was riding a pedal bike when he was in his 80's and my dad is 98 now. I hope you have many years riding before you.
I use brass brazing to build my bike frames.

Last edited:

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Elmo, thanks for raising an old mans morale. Give my best to your Dad, at 98, I hope he has many more to come. LadyG has an Aunt that turned 100 on January 1 and still lives alone on the farm...
buzzard

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I don't recommend this, so please don't try it. A DIY welder can be as easy as taking a piece of wire coat hanger in each hand and inserting them into the slots of any wall outlet......it's bound to weld your fillings together and give ya a perm at the same time laff

Who needs a stinking transformer?