Disc Brake

GoldenMotor.com

frankiethedrill

Jan 8, 2011
Newport RI
I am mounting a front disc on a standard 26" wheel (non freewheel)and attempting to make my own adapter/spacer....I am going to tap into the hub...just wondering if anyone has tried this!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
You would need a disc brake hub. I would not try mounting a disc brake on a non- disc brake wheel, it's just asking for trouble if you ask me.

frankiethedrill

Jan 8, 2011
Newport RI
Well I was going to mount it just like they are mounting the rear sprocket on a Micargi 68 spoke wheel.Manic mechanic makes a disk just for that Bolts right to the hub. I have 140 spoke wheels so thats the way I am doing my rear sprocket as well. I will also bed it in JB weld.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I have never heard of anyone bragging about the holding power of JB weld. Is this sound advise or is that the initials of a friend of yours that's going to weld it for you eg. James Bennet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You would need a disc brake hub. I would not try mounting a disc brake on a non- disc brake wheel, it's just asking for trouble if you ask me.
Listen to this man. Don't hodge-podge with brakes, especially on the front wheel. Forget about using JB Weld. It might be fine for some things, like fixing a broken handle on a coffee cup, but not for mounting an adapter, of any kind, to a bicycle hub. Do a little research and see if you can find a disc brake hub for your spoke count. That's the best way.
Tom

CruisinOCMD

Jan 18, 2011
OCMD
I'm doing the same thing with my front hub. I have micargi 68 spoke wheels with the manic sprocket and if the wheel holds up to the beating the engine puts on it im sure it will hold up to putting brakes on it. My problem is im having trouble finding a disc brake setup that will fit my triple tree fork.

CruisinOCMD

Jan 18, 2011
OCMD
View attachment 34601

here is my setup...We made our disc brake adapter out of 3/16ths stainless...the adapter that you buy bends very easy.

What caliper are you running? My fork already has tabs for the caliper so mounting isnt a problem but i purchased a tektro setup but the caliper is much too wide so it hits the wheel. I'm looking for a slimmer setup that wont hit the wheel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What caliper are you running? My fork already has tabs for the caliper so mounting isnt a problem but i purchased a tektro setup but the caliper is much too wide so it hits the wheel. I'm looking for a slimmer setup that wont hit the wheel.
Avid BB-7 might be a good bet for you. The calipers are small and thin. The BB-7 has pad adjustment knobs on both sides, the BB-5 has just one on the inside. Hope this helps.
Most bike shops will let you try a fit if you take your bike or front fork into them. Good luck.
Tom