Diesel Powered 24" Tricycle

GoldenMotor.com

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
Fun first post for sure. So 2 years ago I imported a nice 3.5 hp diesel set for a go kart project. Well that project took another route and the engine has been sitting, brand new ready to do something.

Well now after having built a 49cc, a 79cc bicycle, I decided I was to motorize a tricycle. Rather than use the "little" kits I figured a diesel setup would provide more than enough torque for these hills, maybe even allow to pull a little gear trailer behind as well.

I ordered up a torque converter, flat steel for an engine mount plate, battery box and some small pieces. I already have a complete 49cc kit I can steal the bolt on sprocket and other pieces needed from.

Getting the weight down low is critical for me, dont need to make a tricycle any less stable. I opted for the 24" wheel version to try to get the CG a little lower.

Anyone built a torque monster tricycle on here before? I see plenty of electric projects and fast projects.

The motor is about 40lbs or so, so it will go behind and below the rear cargo basket. Is it feasible to use the shimano detailer in the powertrain or better to stay single speed? It maxes out at 3600rpm. Any off the shelf jackshaft kits that may help me in that area?

Very curious to see how fuel economy goes, it looks like I could turn the pump down if needed, I doubt it will be under much strain in this setup. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum & I'll be watching your diesel build. I like unique approaches & 40 lbs. seems a reasonable weight to build around. Is the diesel engine a Yanmar/Mercedes type? Please post photos. Rick C.

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
I could have gotten a 3.0hp but the weight difference was a whole lb :D

This is her, runs smooth, has a decompression switch for easy hand or electric start. The torque converter arrived moments ago also. Max rpm says 3600, its actually pretty smooth, looks to be a clone of a Yanmar from some googling I did, which would make parts sourcing easier.

I am excited to see how it goes, my only real concern is that the specs showed 12 ft lbs of torque, may have to reinforce the tricycle a little :)

Will post more pics as it develops, wont take long though as we have plans to go to a UTV friendly park soon.

I still cant find a completed diesel project to compare against, here is to new frontiers!

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
Great link, thank you. Trying to decide if a remote tank is beneficial in any way. Also wondering how low a rpm I can make the torque converter engage as this thing makes torque off idle.

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
Yes, it is a clone so may have to do some searching. That axle looks fantastic, what sort of bearings do I look for to match it?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You can use pillow block or flange mounted bearings. Balls or bronze bushings. I assume you'll be doing a lot of fab work. I have a Columbia trike frame that came with a peerless axle. Are you in So Cal?

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
Georgia, looking at the frame I could just cut the mounts off and weld or bolt pillow bushings in fairly easily. Looking up the peerless model, ebay throws up a bunch more brands. Is peerless a known good brand or are others ok?

BecauseSouthern

Apr 16, 2018
What's been your source for buying them? Any particular mower/equipment make good donors? Seem lots with built in transmission (too bulky) and some with belt drive setup but not many with a gear setup.

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
That' really cool and at 40lbs it' only 15lbs heavier than a 66cc 2 stroke with nearly 10x the torque. I can see how gearing would be a big issue with only 3600rpm. What type of speed are you looking to get out of it? Would a simple centrifugal clutch be lighter and simpler than a torque converter?or not be strong enough?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Awesome links Dale, thanks. Best if you can find 3/4 axles as they would be the same as trike hubs, but also they lawn tractor ones have short axles on one side, and also the sprocket can be bolted on either side of the differential. The best setup for trikes, as both wheels pull instead of one