Denver help...?

GoldenMotor.com

DarkRide

Jun 23, 2008
Denver CO
Hey, folks. I live here in the mile-high city and I'm hoping someone out there might be willing to give me a hand with my prospective rig.

Basically, here's the thing: I need a commuter. I go two places a lot; one is about ten miles away and the other is about 15. So for it to be worth it, I really need my bike to hit 40+ without me running it into the ground.

I've been chatting with a great guy from this forum (Steve - DetonatorTuningSolutons) and he recommends maybe putting a gp460 on a Staton rack. I think this sounds fine but I know jack about mechanics and I have only the most basic tools. So I'm wondering if anyone in this area might be willing to help me out - just be there to call with questions and if I need something done with a tool I don't have.

I'm totally willing to pay for your time or whatever...I just really need some guidance and I can't always be bugging Steve.

Anyway, please let me know if you live in the area and are in a generous mood. I will be eternally grateful for whatever help I can get.

Cheers,
Bram

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Denver help

If you need to exceed 30 mph, then you need to get a scooter or motorcycle and not a motor assisted bicycle "MAB". I feel we should be good stewards for our transportation and hobbyist alike and we really need to be careful when riding . Making or souping up a bicycle to go 40 plus mph will get you trouble and will set a bad example for others that do have a bicycle with motor assist. If you want to go 40 or 50 mph, you really need to get a scooter or motorcycle. Those are common attributes for scooters and motorcycles. The Axiom here is that any bicycle with motor assist that can go 40 plus mph is just not a good thing as it violates federal law for bicycles with motor assist to still be defined as a bicycle. From what I read, less than 49cc and 30mph on level ground under power is the rule. Most bicycle engine kits can go 30mph right out of the box and is plenty fast. Typically faster than traffic in the city, way faster than traffic in rush hour. Enjoy the ride...

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
And when you get running, go see the Deadhead owner of Sancho's Broken Arrow over on Colfax, and the guys at the Oriental Theater, tell them the "idiot on the red bike from Alabama" sent you.

I think there are three brothers involved in three bars with the Cervantes theme, but the Sancho's owner "took the shirt off his back", gave me this nice long sleeve "Steal Your Face" logo WITH handy pocket.

He's the one who named my bike "Rocinante", "the Noble Nag" ridden by Don Quixote.

Met lots of nice musicians up there too.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Re: Denver help

From what I read, less than 49cc and 30mph on level ground under power is the rule. Most bicycle engine kits can go 30mph right out of the box and is plenty fast. Typically faster than traffic in the city, way faster than traffic in rush hour. Enjoy the ride...
Completely agree, souping them up is for "down the line hobbyist/experimental" experts.

Especially commuting, you want to get there without on the road repairs for ripping out spokes or fixing chains.

Out of the box 30-35 mph, PLUS taking short cuts, zipping thru parking lots instead of waiting at red lights, going around traffic accidents, passing cars on the shoulder and (occasional sidewalk), you can get there possibly "just as fast" as in a car.

With 360 degree visibility, stop signs on quiet backstreets are mere technicalities.

Practice caution, (but do take advantage of the advantages).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Denver help

If you need to exceed 30 mph, then you need to get a scooter or motorcycle and not a motor assisted bicycle "MAB". I feel we should be good stewards for our transportation and hobbyist alike and we really need to be careful when riding . Making or souping up a bicycle to go 40 plus mph will get you trouble and will set a bad example for others that do have a bicycle with motor assist. If you want to go 40 or 50 mph, you really need to get a scooter or motorcycle. Those are common attributes for scooters and motorcycles. The Axiom here is that any bicycle with motor assist that can go 40 plus mph is just not a good thing as it violates federal law for bicycles with motor assist to still be defined as a bicycle. From what I read, less than 49cc and 30mph on level ground under power is the rule. Most bicycle engine kits can go 30mph right out of the box and is plenty fast. Typically faster than traffic in the city, way faster than traffic in rush hour. Enjoy the ride...

I couldn't agree more....if you want to maintain an average of 40 mph on a regular basis, without thrashing the goods, buy a scooter or a motorcycle.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
If you decide that slower speeds are in your future, then I suggest a Titan from Dax. Its easy to install and needs less work in the install to make it reliable than a 2 stroke.

DarkRide

Jun 23, 2008
Denver CO
I'll just say this: to the extent that people are looking out for my safety, a sincere thank you. To those who just feel that going over a certain speed somehow violates the spirit of this pastime, I think that's pretty bogus. This forum has a whole section devoted to Whizzers, where at least one member talks about reaching the kind of speeds I'm looking for. And as far as legality goes, Dax himself told me that his 80cc's aren't marked, so no one has to know what size they are unless we tell them. And finally, there are lots of reasons I would still prefer a bike to a scooter or a motorcycle, and barring any truly legitimate objections, I don't think I should have to enumerate them to satisfy anyone else.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I really need my bike to hit 40+ without me running it into the ground
You are not going to run 40mph+ without running it into the ground.

This is why the members suggested a motorcycle or scooter

Sure you can run these MB's at 40+, but it's gonna be alot of maintanece and repair. I know guy's who have reached 60mph and can average 45-50mph...but that's all they do, ride it, break it, ride it, break it. ride it, break it. They don't use it for a commuter.
:ride2:

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
Dark Ride, i suggest you look at the thread featuring Easy Rider's bike with the Morini engine. setting aside all other questions of what's good, bad or legal. there's a suspension bike with disc brakes that apparently easily goes beyond 40 with no problem at all.

i have no interest in going 40 and i'm not taking sides in this argument, but if you want to see what a 40+ bike looks like...