Dax ktm 49 cc clone motor mount suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thinking about putting ktm50 on my strech trike build looking for some suggestions For engine mounts
Jim, I'd suggest using an old / unusable / junked ktm 50 frame cutout the original motor mounts and weld those onto your Stretch Cruiser.

I admit I like your idea of mounting a ktm50 engine into your Stretch Cruiser.

Or you could make some designs with cardboard and make your own custom motor mounts to fit the ktm50's engine mounting holes, them you could weld those onto your Stretch Cruiser frame. Oh yeah, I meant you can use the cardboard as templates to make a metal engine mount and then weld the new metal engine mount to your stretch cruiser frame.

I can't remember who but one of our fellow forum members did mount a ktm 50 engine into their Stretch Cruiser.

Let us know if you figure it out.

C.H.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
They sell stingray engine mounts on ebay that allow you to bolt a two stroke China girl to a Schwinn chopper. You may be able to adapt one of those stingray mounts for mounting the KTM to your stretch.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
No, that won't work unfortunately. I'm doing this right now and it will require welding some mounting tabs to the OCC frame for the engine.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Jim, you can do it checkout dmb's Stretch Cruiser with KTM50 / Morini S5.

Franco Morini S5 Engine 50cc

This engine is the most popular, from the late 1960's, up until 2001, and used by many various motorcycle manufacturers, it is unusual because the kick-start lever goes forward (opposite to a normal bike). The S5 has a vertical cylinder with the carburetor bolted on to it.

Manufacturers that have used this engine are as follows:
Italjet/Indian, Malaguti, LEM, KTM, Husky, DBM, Young Rider plus many others.

In the early 1990's the engine was also developed for more power, this included 2 and 4 reed valve cylinders with big cooling fins and bigger carbs (S5GS).
Manufacturers that have used this engine include:Husky, KTM (pre 2001).

The Husky version of this engine was fitted with an ‘O' ring head gasket & thicker base gasket in later years.

Hope this helps Jim!

I can't remember who but one of our fellow forum members did mount a ktm 50 engine into their Stretch Cruiser. I just remembered it's none other than Custom Builder DMB!!!

Oh yeah it is dmb's Stretch Cruiser Builder, here's the Link to DMB's Stretch Cruiser Build with KTM50 engine!
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33524

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I said it won't bolt to the OCC Happy time conversion kit, you weld tabs onto your frame or fashion a clamping system much different than a bicycle engine.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

The motors fit fine in a lot of bikes, it's about the same profile and about 1.5 times wider than the HT engine that came out. There is no room for the old HT conversion mount with the 50 in there.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

The motors fit fine in a lot of bikes, it's about the same profile and about 1.5 times wider than the HT engine that came out. There is no room for the old HT conversion mount with the 50 in there.
Awesome build there 16v.

I knew there was someone else who had completed one of these builds with this type of engine.

Peace Crazy Horse!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Thanks CH, I wish I could say it was complete, injury and distraction has kept me from it until now. Tomorrow should be a good day to get some brackets on there, as well as pedals so I can ride legally.