Davenport show...

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm glad my funds are low these days, otherwise I'd be on planes and in the hells that are airports half my life going to places like Davenport. Does anybody know what that 90 degree motor was in the vintage bike?

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Outstanding photos as usual Kirk. Surprised at the selection of bikes and parts available. You would expect the supply to eventually wind down but perhaps as the prices go up the demand goes down.

Thank you.

Steve.
Thanks for sharing your Davenport pics again Mr B.
You said it Steve. I know the prices of old cars/bikes just seem to keep on escalating - but some of those price tags in the pics mean mere mortals like me can only dream ...

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Outstanding photos as usual Kirk. Surprised at the selection of bikes and parts available. You would expect the supply to eventually wind down but perhaps as the prices go up the demand goes down.

Thank you.

Steve.

Thank you.

Steve.
It is a big show, took Chris and i over 4 hours to walk through just once.

Prices have been on the upswing for about 3 years now after holding steady for perhaps 1/2 dozen before. Sure seems to be tied to the economy.

I'll always regret that many years ago there was what appeared to be a complete 1914 Indian apart in tubs for only $5000...

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I'm glad my funds are low these days, otherwise I'd be on planes and in the hells that are airports half my life going to places like Davenport. Does anybody know what that 90 degree motor was in the vintage bike?
That was a 1912 Marsh-Metz for a measly $139K.

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 3.14.58 PM.png

I swear that very same bike was only $45K a few years ago, but there was recently one sold at auction for $137K

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Yes, i too will be waiting for your photos, sad it's so far away, would love to be there.......Curt
A big THANKS for posting them!
You should go yourself some year...
It's not really all that far for you- And the original America Pickers shop is only 20 minutes away and the National Motorcycle Museum less than an hour!

I'll buy lunch! LOL!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
You should go yourself some year...
It's not really all that far for you- And the original America Pickers shop is only 20 minutes away and the National Motorcycle Museum less than an hour!

I'll buy lunch! LOL!
Now my life has slowed down somewhat, part of my daily routine here in the UK is watching 2-3 back-to-back episodes of American Pickers at breakfast-time. That show is addictive, and it's what gives me a handle on the prices of vintage bikes/cars. That's why I was so surprised to see the ludicrously expensive price stickers on some of those bikes in your Davenport photos. (I know the AP shows are re-runs, but even so...)
I would love to make it back to the US one day to visit the iconic American Pickers store. Who knows?... I might even be lucky enough to get to say hi to Danielle (Dani D). What a babe!

Reactions: indian22 and Mr.B.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
You are correct!

The store does have a few old motorcycles and other interesting large antiques on display (but for the most part not for sale). And they do have a few other smaller antiques scattered around that are for sale, a handful even seen in show episodes. But the bulk of the merchandise there is AP tees, coffee cups, etc. It really is very touristy!

Some of the high profile bike buys from the show are actually displayed over at the National Motorcycle Museum...
Also in Anamosa is the main J & P cycle shop and up on high shelfs around sales floor is displayed several antique motorcycles & related memorabilia.