Cylinder Porting / Mods

GoldenMotor.com

ronin62715sv

Jul 17, 2018
I was thinking about cleaning up and refining the ports on the cylinder body and was wondering if removal of this small metal divider in the exhaust port would mess up anything. Let me know if it’s find to remove it and what it’s for.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I haven't seen one like that. I'd suspect that the port is oversized compared to usual ports, and that is there to prevent ring from expanding into the port. Not sure though.

ronin62715sv

Jul 17, 2018
I haven't seen one like that. I'd suspect that the port is oversized compared to usual ports, and that is there to prevent ring from expanding into the port. Not sure though.
If I were to remove that metal divider would correct chamfering prevent the piston rings from expanding into the exhaust port or would there still be problems?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
It really does look like a big port so I don't think removing the "pillar?" would give you much greater flow. I think the thing to do is fire it up as is and see how she goes. You can always do a modification after you break it in.

just my two cents

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
should ring expand into port, then chamfering would need to stuff it back to where it belongs on every stroke - at piston speeds, I could see that ripping the plating off at that spot

why not just ask the manufacturer?