Cruiser Construction

GoldenMotor.com

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
I got an aluminum APC frame about 10 days ago and started painting. I have already ordered an engine, and today I picked up some fenders & rims. I guess I am in, but since this is my first MB don't expect too much...except a lot of questions :p

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome aboard Ravenshurst! These guys here are the best when it comes to answering questions. Hopefully we can answer all of them. So what have you decided on for a motor?
Have fun and post lots of pics!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I'm so small. I have had a laptop with a webcam for almost a month and didnt even know it was there. I have the webcam almost figured out. (burp) and , Oh yea a web cam. How do I up link photos to this website? Belch! xcuse me, good pizza! Step by Step would be great. I think I can print the way to do it. Thaks Guys.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
I am buying a 80cc (76 or so???) chengine from one of the guys in this forum. No picks yet as my camera decided to go on strike, but I will get a few up asap. I have already started painting, so you can't get true step-by-step pics of the construction, but I will do the best I can. I think I need to stop surfing pix of motored bikes, though. Every time I see a different picture, this project gets more expensive, lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am buying a 80cc (76 or so???) chengine from one of the guys in this forum. No picks yet as my camera decided to go on strike, but I will get a few up asap. I have already started painting, so you can't get true step-by-step pics of the construction, but I will do the best I can. I think I need to stop surfing pix of motored bikes, though. Every time I see a different picture, this project gets more expensive, lol
LOL, ayup. Sure does Ravenshurst. But beats golf.

Last edited:

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
I Shot what will prolly be the last coat of color on the frame today. Krylon "Banner Red". The front fender still needs a few more coats. I am wet-sanding every coat w/ 1000 grit b4 shooting the next coat. I pin striped the chain guard today. My next day off I will clear coat the frame & chainguard, & put another coat of red on the front fender. The rear fender is for a coaster brake, & doesn't have the indents for the v-brakes, so I haven't even primed it yet. I am hoping I can extend the mounting bolts for the rear brake pads enough that I can contact the rim w/out hitting the rear fender. Any advice on this? The rims came off of a 3-speed, so I bought a new freewheel rear sprocket and slapped that on the rear fender. I guess that's about it for now, updates will follow when I have something new to report.

Gonzo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
For the fenders, I have not done it myself but have seen some real nice dremel work. Looked factory made.

I looked around for larger brakes, but I don't think this would would clear and they are expensive. Look at "big Mouth"

Hope it helps; Rivendell Bicycle Works: Brakes

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
"expensive"....yeah, I guess so. The dremel tool is a possibility. I can't do any kind of body work, so I am trying to avoid metal surgery if possible. To be honest, I coluld go buy a brand new fender if I have to, but part of the enjoyment, for me, is building/modifying/making do with used and/or scrounged parts. So far the only new item I have purchased, not counting paint of course, is the freewheel. I will need new tires & tubes of course, but I don't think I want to spend $53.00 on brakes.

Thanks a lot, Dan. I appreciate the advice on the dremel.

Gonzo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"but part of the enjoyment, for me, is building/modifying/making do with used and/or scrounged parts."

Man, I know what you mean! There has to be a better word for this then addiction, snork. Build I am on now consists of an old alternator, truck battery (New motor) and an old MB. Could buy and fit, but then might as well get a fancy, dancy store bought some thing.

Last edited:

daveboy76

Dec 23, 2008
palmdale .calif
laffJust recieved my 80cc engine kit already have my 1965 schwinn spitfire # MA##### frame primer waiting for this weekend to pick up a pair of 26x1/3/4 Westwind white walls for my S-7 rims a rare rim not every one carrys the rubber for this size of wheel Im very excited but I know I have to be careful. So im fitting the engine in the frame now before its painted to prevent from scracthing it I do not want to drill in my frame so Iam going to fabricate a bottom bracket for the engine I have a recrome sweetheart sprocket that looks great I have to cut into the back fender with a dremil thanks goodness there after market becouse I couldnt see myself cutting into the real thing but there still nice scooped 1950 style.another cool item I have is moon handlebars and a big sprung sattle and 26 springer front fork This baby is going to be one bad motorbike leaving a thick cloud of envy behind.

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Hi Guys, sorry it's been so long, but lot of messed up things have been going on in my lifw...
well, the guy on this forum that I ordered my engine from burnt me, So I ordered a new one from wwwgasbikes.com, hopefully that will get here today. I still haven't shot the rear fender, because I need to cut it for the engine chain first. I still need lights and a dual brake lever, but with any luck I should be on the road by this weekend. I still don't have a cam (not even on my old-fashioned cell phone, lol) but maybe I can borrow one from someone to post pics one of these days. The build continues! (or is re-born, whichever)

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Update...Bike runs great!!!! I STILL haven't finished the rear fender yet, lol, but I have been riding the bike for the las couple of days, already almost 100 miles on it. Just waiting till payday to get a headlight & fender braces, but the bike runs GREAT! Tons of thanks to all the people on this forum who helped out with advice.

Ride Safe!

Gonzo

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Raven,
How about posting some pictures of your bike. We all love pictures. Congratulations on your success and have fun, ride careful and keep in touch.
Tom