Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I have been reading up on this website and some others for a little while now. I’ve gained an immense interest in building a motorized bike. I want to do something just a little extra ordinary, by trying to emulate an old Indian Board Track Racer without any fabrication. In other words I’m gonna have to buy a nice tank, I don’t have the tools to build it. In fact that goes for any modification that would require a welder.

With that said, here’s what I have in mind. some of these parts are already purchased.

Cranbrook Beach Cruiser - purchased
YD100 Motor
F2 Thrust Exhaust
Sunlite Springer forks - purchased
Replica Indian BTR handlebars
Spring loaded chain tensioner
White tires
Tan BTR style seat
Various Indian Motorcycle decals
And paint

i’m not gonna be able to buy all of this immediately so it may take a little while. and it will be a work in progress.

My first step when I get the bike is to grease all the bearings well, remove the chain guard and remove both fenders permanently. Then I will install the springer front end which is also chrome to match the old Indian BTRs

As I can afford it I will change out the seat and purchase a laid back racer style seat post. Of course I will replace the black stock tires with white tires to emulate old Indian BTRs.

I will eventually paint the rims red to match old Indians. Speaking of paint, I will also paint the little cheap gas tank that comes with the engine kit red. This will just get me started until I can afford a nicer tank.

I will just flip the beach cruisers handlebars upside down until I can get the Indian replica bars. Chrome, to match the old BTR’s.

as far as the motor, it’s my understanding that I need to pull the top of the motor off and ensure that the piston is installed in the correct direction. So this is something I will do after I purchase the engine. I’ve also watched a few videos and read about porting and polishing. I need to teach myself a little bit more about that process. Eventually I will probably upgrade the carburetor also.

So for now, I am awaiting delivery of the bike and the springer front end.

i’m hoping this comes out looking as nice as a picture it

below are pictures of the items that I’ve purchased or will be purchasing.

Attachments

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Just use the original handlebar, you get basically the same look and save a few dollars.

Second, skip the Indian logo, create your own "brand". Your screen name, "Nightster" would be a good name. Anybody can copy, try to be original and march to your own music.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Just use the original handlebar, you get basically the same look and save a few dollars.

Second, skip the Indian logo, create your own "brand". Your screen name, "Nightster" would be a good name. Anybody can copy, try to be original and march to your own music.
thank you for the suggestions sir. I do kind of like the idea of personalizing the decals.

I have considered just keeping the handlebars and possibly reshaping them a bit. Look forward to seeing what they look like turned upside down.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Nightster, go with Home - MBRebel.com Lynn's new web site is kind of wonky but quality builders source from her.
Good idea to ditch the rear coaster brake. Must Huffy buyers think they are buying cheap exercise. Huffy knows only 1% are used as intended and build for the 99%. I know, I bought a Huffy for my first build.
That said a rear wheel with Shimano CB-110 coaster brake is worth the investment. Front wheel? Keep it for now, and get a good side or center pull caliper brake. The fork you show will not accept neither drum or disc brake.
On my Huffy Davidson, a cheapy Wally World side pull provides a modicum of breaking power. If you want to make your life a bit easier, do not use the so called rag joint. Original Clamshell Sprocket Adapter from Manic Mechanic (mmbikeparts.com)
This will keep you out of trouble for awhile. Wait till Curtiss Fox chimes in.
Tom

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Nightster, go with Home - MBRebel.com Lynn's new web site is kind of wonky but quality builders source from her.
Good idea to ditch the rear coaster brake. Must Huffy buyers think they are buying cheap exercise. Huffy knows only 1% are used as intended and build for the 99%. I know, I bought a Huffy for my first build.
That said a rear wheel with Shimano CB-110 coaster brake is worth the investment. Front wheel? Keep it for now, and get a good side or center pull caliper brake. The fork you show will not accept neither drum or disc brake.
On my Huffy Davidson, a cheapy Wally World side pull provides a modicum of breaking power. If you want to make your life a bit easier, do not use the so called rag joint. Original Clamshell Sprocket Adapter from Manic Mechanic (mmbikeparts.com)
Tom
I’m sorry to hear you say that my front end will not accept center or side caliper brakes. Is there another option for front breaking or is there a different Springer type front in that will accept center pull brakes?

that is the first I’ve seen of the clamshell adapter. That looks like a much better way of doing things, thanks for the link. This just got put on the list.

Also I am considering the Shimano hub. Can you recommend a wheel with that hub?

Thanks for all your help Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Tom
Great looking bike by the way

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Tom
would this set up work if I had a back wheel on the front ?

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-brake/springer-fork-disc-brake-kit.html

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I prefer the Monark dual springer myself, but that would be your choice. First you have to make sure you get the right head tube size 1" or 1 1/8" MBRebel has disk adapter also. Them malti spoke wheels are no good for motor bike witch require 36 spoke for drive adaptors, MBRebel or husky wheels a good choice. MotoMags would be a better at this, he has done it more............Curt

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I prefer the Monark dual springer myself, but that would be your choice. First you have to make sure you get the right head tube size 1" or 1 1/8" MBRebel has disk adapter also. Them malti spoke wheels are no good for motor bike witch require 36 spoke for drive adaptors, MBRebel or husky wheels a good choice. MotoMags would be a better at this, he has done it more............Curt
I’ve read good and bad about monarch and sunlite. Being a newb, I have no experience.

may try it out first on the pedal bike before adding the motor. Or after looking more closely at some old BTR Indians modify the existing forks with the added support tubes up front. From pics it does not look like those front ends are sprung.

from what I have been able to research I believe the head size is 1”.

will look into the disk adapter and wheels, thanks for the Headsup on those.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Nightster, Curtis is spot on. If disc front brake is what you want, Sunlite is the fork for you, the caliper mount is already welded to the fork leg. Sunlite springers produce a very comfortable ride.
Amazon.com : SUNLITE Deluxe 26" Springer Fork Replica, 1" (Threaded) : Bike Rigid Forks : Sports & Outdoors
I have no experience with front wheel hubs that accept disc brake rotors. Call Lynn or Curtis can chime in.
Tom
Thanks Tom
I was looking at that fork also, looks like I should return what I bought for the one in the link that can accept a front disk caliper.