Cool Gas Tanks?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Michigan Mike, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Large Filipino

Dude I'm digging your bike! Tank looks good. That seat looks comfy!

2. marvin martian

Thanks, Large, it is a chopper or a bobber seat, also via e-bay.

3. mekano

mekano New Member

that tank rules, martian!

4. x-soldat

x-soldat New Member

I like the look of the tank, but what really caught my eye was the spring adjusted chain tensioner... can you post a close up and tell me where you bought it ?

5. toytime

toytime New Member

Wow Martin, you have a lot going on with that bike, have you got a thread on your build?

6. marvin martian

Hey x, I got the chain tensioner and spring from Tractor Supply Co. and got the idea from MisterRight on this forum. Toytime, the thread is "Marvin Martian's Madwagon" in pictures and video. I am not sure if I have a closeup of the tensioner shown there, I will check and if not I will post one.

7. oldcliff

oldcliff New Member

I thought of doing tha same as Red66 only using a small beer keg from the grocery store. They cost about $15.00 when full of beer. After the party and the beer is drained use the keg as a shell for the small thak that comes with the kit. BTW I am planning a party LOL.

8. marvin martian

That would be cool, then you could make a sidecar out of a fullsize keg. I have seen one somewhere but can't remember where. Maybe someone will know.

9. jezusjonz

jezusjonz New Member

I agree gas tanks are the one thing we all want. I know its been one of my wants since I got into building. Here are a few of my febble attempts at tanks. An Indian humpback a mini fat bob tank made from two tear drops and a tank I made for my old Firestone...
    Terry

Attached Files:

10. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike New Member

COOL GAS TANKS JEZUSJONZ!
    .trk.

11. marvin martian

Wow, jj, I like them all, especially the middle one. Do you have pics of that bike finished?

12. tyrslider

tyrslider New Member

I like those as well jj. I'm working on some too!

#32 tyrslider, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  13. jezusjonz

jezusjonz New Member

No I never finished that one like I said it was my first attempt and I never planned out the mounting or anything on it. It was probably the easiest one I have built. Guess I need to finish it huh? I need to get something else besides my mig to put tanks together. I use heavy sheet metal just so my crappy welder wont blow through it as much. The main problem I have seen is that the bungs and petcock parts are more expensive than what I would want to sell a tank for if I was selling them.

14. TigerToothBikes.com

15. Waspswatter

Waspswatter New Member

I like it, but it looks a little unbalanced with the bike lines. I think you should slide it rearwards an inch or two.

dnut

16. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

i want a small keg behind my seat (1/2 liter would be nice) for around $20 or so.or diffrrent size plastic ones would be nice,ive seen them for gocarts for around $12.maybe put a cover over them.

17. hombremosqa

hombremosqa New Member

im thinking of doing this
    [​IMG]

the seat is from an old sears allstate (gilera) and the tank is from a whothehellknowswhere
    [​IMG]

if the seat requires too much mod, i will just make a bent seatpost so i can move it back about 6 inches
    [​IMG]

#37 hombremosqa, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  18. toytime

toytime New Member

If you were to add the rear fender that came with the bike and had the seat up against the tank and a touch higher, it would look kind of cool

19. hombremosqa

hombremosqa New Member

well, those pics are just mock ups, but yeah i will have the seat and tank arranged as they should. the most important thing is for me to get the tank mostly level. there are no real hills to deal with here, but in the event i do go up one, i will have the tank angled a bit more towards the rear.

im trying to find some fenders right now.

20. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Hombre,
    That tank looks very much like the one I'm thinking of for my Jag. I posted a pic of it just sitting on the crossbar on page 2 of this thread. Mine came from an 80cc Yamaha. The more I look at my bike the more I like the tank. I like yours. The right paint, maybe some bobbed fenders...that could be one cool looking bike. Keep us posted.
    Tom