Congratulations Pop-up

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I can’t be on the site more than a minute before the “congratulations iPad user” pop up routes me off the site. Unless I’m on my phone then it’s “congratulation iPhone user”. I give up.

Reactions: fasteddy

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Agreed, a pox! Life is good or relatively so. Busy like always but I’d assume that’s how it is until I can’t do what I want anymore. Hope you are doing well also Rick.

BTW - it is grossly disproportionate how much that specific pop up happens here.

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I can’t be on the site more than a minute before the “congratulations iPad user” pop up routes me off the site. Unless I’m on my phone then it’s “congratulation iPhone user”. I give up.
Sorry for your trouble Harold. It's certainly not intended. Trouble is, I haven't been able to reproduce it on any of my devices. A site malware scan didn't uncover anything either.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Harold,
That stinks!

Eric, no real problems for me other than this site is slightly more sluggish than other forums I belong to. Just an observation, not really a issue and not a complaint. For what it's worth i'm using an older iMac desk top.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Sorry for your trouble Harold. It's certainly not intended. Trouble is, I haven't been able to reproduce it on any of my devices. A site malware scan didn't uncover anything either.

Is anyone else seeing this?
There is no issue on my windows laptop or Mac computer, just the mobile devices.
I should note that I am using the desktop version, not an app.

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Eric, no real problems for me other than this site is slightly more sluggish than other forums I belong to. Just an observation, not really a issue and not a complaint. For what it's worth i'm using an older iMac desk top.
Thanks for the pop up reply and note on site speed. That's good to know your experience vs. other forums. I'll take a closer look at site speed.

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
There is no issue on my windows laptop or Mac computer, just the mobile devices.
Hmmm. Thanks for the additional info. Very odd. I've tested on an iphone and android. I also tried a couple ipad and iphone emulators with out any issue. Hopefully we'll hear from others.

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It's a possibility that it's a virus on your device. I guess since you are seeing it on both an iphone and ipad separately, I thought this wasn't likely. If you have recently seen it on other sites as well, this may the cause.
https://howtoremove.guide/congratulations-you-won/

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I was super excited to see a potential solution. The link you provided is for Android devices BTW so here's a link for Apple:

https://macsecurity.net/view/254-congratulations-you-won-popup-virus

I'd love to report it fixed my problem but it doesn't or at least doesn't and still leave me with the features I want. The suggestion to turn off Java script results in the security password auto-fill no longer working. Maybe this will just increase the amount of time I spend working on my bike vs. posting about it....

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I was super excited to see a potential solution. The link you provided is for Android devices BTW so here's a link for Apple:

https://macsecurity.net/view/254-congratulations-you-won-popup-virus
Thanks for the proper link.

I'd love to report it fixed my problem but it doesn't or at least doesn't and still leave me with the features I want. The suggestion to turn off Java script results in the security password auto-fill no longer working.
Dang. Thought I might have had something here.

Maybe this will just increase the amount of time I spend working on my bike vs. posting about it....
Way to find the upside (^)

I guess we wait again for others.

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
“I guess we wait again for others.” Nope. Haven’t contributed for months and now the dam is broken! Good luck shutting me up!

I have installed the Weblock app and we’ll see how that goes. Five minutes without a pop up.
Too funny! Fingers crossed. Although that still doesn't fully tell us whether the site is serving up something it shouldn't. The app may block a virus serving an ad just the same.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Agreed, a pox! Life is good or relatively so. Busy like always but I’d assume that’s how it is until I can’t do what I want anymore. Hope you are doing well also Rick.

BTW - it is grossly disproportionate how much that specific pop up happens here.
If it got any better Harold I'd be forced to take something for it!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Building stuff. Building a welding table/tool cart right now with a bunch of scraps. Was gonna buy something but simply could not wait. Need all my tools in one place ready to go. Sick of spending an hour every time I go to work on stuff just moving tools around. I figure something like this will pay for itself in the time saved not moving tools as often in finishing my current bike build.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a android tablet using Firefox browser and don’t have a problem. I did when I was using chrome, when chrome would not upgrade on the tablet I switched to Firefox