Congratulations Pop-up

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Harold_B, May 5, 2019.

1. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I haven’t had any pop ups in a couple of days, I’ve been using my phone to access the forum so hopefully you’ve found something.

Tom from Rubicon and fasteddy like this.
  2. erics

erics Administrator
    Staff Member

That's good to hear. I haven't really found much. I'm thinking it's one of a couple things. It's either coming from malware on some devices using specific browsers, or there's a chance that ad type slipped through the advertising network on the site side. They usually catch that sort of thing quickly. Either way, glad to hear you haven't seen it in a bit.

Tom from Rubicon and fasteddy like this.
  3. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Well-Known Member

Still get them on my Iphone and iPad ....oh ! got to go spin the wheel...I’ll be back.....

4. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Pop ups on this forum haven't been a problem on my phone but my lap top has been, especially when posting & it not only blocks my screen but also locks it up until I clear the pop up, which is sometimes difficult to accomplish without multiple attempts.

Big thanks to Erics for responding.

Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  5. erics

erics Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update MotoMagz. Let me know if you win! :)

Thanks Rick. Just to check, using your laptop, do you get this same pop up on other sites or just this one? Also, is it the congratulations your a winner pop up?

Thanks
    Eric

fasteddy likes this.
  6. indian22

I haven't been getting the "congratulation" pop up recently on the laptop or cell, but the "danger you have a virus" pop up is persistent & variations of that theme is a problem on the lap top, but not exclusively this forum.

Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  7. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Eric I used my phone exclusively Friday through Sunday with no problems at all, I’m hoping either you’ve found something or the guy has got his kicks and moved on.

fasteddy likes this.
  8. erics

erics Administrator
    Staff Member

Rick, it really sounds like you have some sort of malware on your laptop. I'd try searching around with the message text variations, browser name you're using, and either the words virus or malware. Usually these things are so common that you'll find some solutions. Generally they're specific to browser type and operating system.

indian22 and fasteddy like this.
  9. erics

erics Administrator
    Staff Member

Great to hear Greg. I wish I could say I did something. I've scanned the site code many times and haven't found anything on the site side. Either way, glad to hear you aren't seeing it.

indian22 likes this.
  10. Harold_B

Harold_B Active Member

Several days without the pop up. Except on my iPhone which I haven’t installed the app on yet. If anyone is curious:

Weblock - proxy ad blocker
    https://itun.es/us/ovUtH.i

indian22 likes this.
  11. erics

erics Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Harold.

I've been looking around for some resources. I've found a few things that I thought I'd organize for everyone.

The ad blockers may help but they don't really get to the root of the problem. If you have adware, malware, or a virus on the device, it's best to get rid of it all together. They can cause a whole host of problems.

These solutions should help with removal on each device type.

iphone - https://howtoremove.guide/iphone-virus-removal/
    android - https://howtoremove.guide/congratulations-you-won/
    desktop/laptop (skip the Spyhunter they promote) - https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/12094-congratulations-you-have-won-scam#a5

The desktop/laptop has instructions each of the main browser types.

One other useful tool for the desktop/laptop is this removal tool https://www.malwarebytes.com/. Select the home free version. The paid version just allows it to run in the background. The free version will allow you to scan and remove anything it finds that is already on the device.

Hope that's helpful to everyone.

Eric

fasteddy, Harold_B and indian22 like this.
  12. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Great info, the only problems I had on my tablet was using a older version of chrome, the latest updates are not compatible with my tablet. I'm now using Firefox, it takes a little getting used to but has worked good so far. I did stop chrome and deleted all updates, then restarted it to use the remaining apps that run best on chrome.

erics and indian22 like this.
  13. indian22

Thanks guys for all the work on these aggravating distractions.

Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  14. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I just got it on my phone, closed all open tabs and haven’t had it since. I don’t know where it’s coming from.

indian22 and fasteddy like this.
  15. Harold_B

Harold_B Active Member

My iPad is not the most current but the software is up to date. I followed the directions on the linked page until the directions no longer matched my iPad settings interface. The app has taken care of the issue but I’ll try again on my iPhone and report back.

indian22 likes this.
  16. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Eric FYI , I installed Malwarebytes on my phone and haven’t had the pop up since last week. Hopefully that will stop it.

erics and indian22 like this.