Computer Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Chaz, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Gentlemen, I need help with my laptop. It's a Lenovo G570 and the dvd drive is acting up and not playing many discs. I have tried the usual lens cleaning. There is also a problem with the spindle. One of the three spring keepers/tang thingy has broken. The drive model is Samsung/Toshiba DVD Writer Model SN-208

My question is will the drive shown in this craigslist ad work for me?
    https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/sop/6156785473.html

Or can someone tell me of a suitable replacement as I know some of these are interchangeable.

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I've changed quite a few on desk tops and towers but nothing but memory modules on lap tops. Hopefully a lap top has interchangeable parts like a tower does. Maybe someone will chime in with a answer.

3. paul

paul Active Member

Chaz likes this.
  4. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Thanks for the replies. The external drive is an option but I'd prefer to get the internal replacement to retain the ease of portability. I have seen the operation done and it is pretty simple but I agree does need a delicate touch to avoid breaking the face plate.
    You would think it would be easy to find a cross reference guide for these components but I can't find anything. Chaz chimp getting frustrated.

5. kevyleven007

kevyleven007 Active Member

good luck.

Chaz likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Thanks Kev, I got some leads from a lenovo forum and found an external lenovo drive on craigs that I think is going to be the easiest and it's a very slim model, not much bigger than the internal one.