coaster brake project

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
somewhere on here it talks about what to do about coaster brake set up with engine. what were some ideas about how to keep the bike chain taught and on the other side to keep the motor chain taught? I remember one saying he didnt use the tensioner but got a half link for either the bicycle side or the motor side! what our some other ideas that have been posted? Iam going to build a cruiser bike for a friend new out of the box and it has coaster brakes with springer front end. there is no front brake on this ride , but I know someone with a drum brake that I could use and they would install the drum for me. but my main question is the best set up for the coaster brake?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Just install any kind of front brake on the bike to use with the stock coaster brake.
You can change the sprocket sizes on the pedalling side to to adjust the chain, to get rid of the chain tensioner... look at the pics of my "Bomber bike"...

Kraash

Jul 29, 2008
im still trying to understand coaster breaks to.. and how it is that you can use em with a MB... i couldnt find your bomber thread :(

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My cruiser style bike has a coaster brake along with a V style front brake. My braking is good at high and low speeds. I favor adding suspension front forks to a cruiser and most always they will come with a front brake of some kind.

jrobert1

Aug 16, 2008
I also have a cruiser bike. I will put a pic up later today. If possible can you tell me where to create a new post? I can't seem to figure it out on here.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
If possible can you tell me where to create a new post?
back out of the individual thread (like the one we're in now) to the parent forum (we're in the Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information forum, for instance) and you'll see "New Thread" overlaid on a sprocket image on the top left of the box that contains the threads for that forum. click on that and you're in bidness!

welcome to the forum, BTW! you'll find nice folks who are happy to help here.

Last edited: