Clutch WILL NOT disengage

GoldenMotor.com

Thatoneguy

May 11, 2023
Ok, so i bought a 80cc kit on ebay (probably a mistake right there) got everything done, but when i went to start pedaling, the rear wheel is locked, kinda stuck, would move SLIGHTLY but very hard. When i pull the clutch lever, the clutch plate (is that what its called?) doesn't push out (the thing with the 3 posts and the flower nut) so even manually pushing the lever, it wont disengage. I cant take it apart either, because the spring has alot of tension (what i heard on YouTube probably misunderstood but whatever.) Any help is appriciated!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, if you move the lever on the engine by hand all the way in you should be able to roll the bike, if not either the flower nut is too tight or the shaft inside is stuck due to sitting on a shelf. Try tapping on the flower nut, use a block of wood against the nut and hit the wood with a hammer. Give it a couple of taps and see if the plate frees up. If not you may need some help for this part, have a helper hold the arm on the engine in as far as possible, remove the screw that keeps the flower nut in place and screw the flower nut counter clockwise. Compressing the internal spring make rotating the flower nut much easier.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Ok, so i bought a 80cc kit on ebay (probably a mistake right there) got everything done, but when i went to start pedaling, the rear wheel is locked, kinda stuck, would move SLIGHTLY but very hard. When i pull the clutch lever, the clutch plate (is that what its called?) doesn't push out (the thing with the 3 posts and the flower nut) so even manually pushing the lever, it wont disengage. I cant take it apart either, because the spring has alot of tension (what i heard on YouTube probably misunderstood but whatever.) Any help is appriciated!

I'm guessing this is a simple fix... probably a simple stuck clutch combined with a improperly installed hand lever & cable.

Can you post some pictures?

Mossy

May 20, 2022
You can take it apart... And should before you get started... Get familiar with some videos on utube how to do it... These aren't Honda engines that run forever out of the box... There full of machine tailings and casting flash... The stuck clutch is actually saving you from more problems by having to take it apart... I buy empty cases and fill them with the crank and jug that's never been installed so I don't have to deal with stripped and bent hardware... Flattening out the gasket surfaces with a file and seals that are not properly seated... If you can't take it apart get 100 of them and 1 or 2 might run flawless out of chance... Stick to one place for the parts... California motorbikes pk80 may not be the same as a CDH power pk80... Grubee GT5A and bicycle engine. Com zeda triple 40 is the big 3 different motors... If you get it from somewhere else it's a mixed bag of stuff that Grubee and the others didn't accept... Still have to check and clean the engine because it's still going to have casting flash etc... You only get a better chance of a matching cylinder and crank...

Thatoneguy

May 11, 2023
@Greg58 Even manually moving the handle i cannot decompress the spring, so i cant adjust the flowernut at all. @Venice Motor Bikes will try and get some pictures @Mossy I would take the whole thing apart, but I'm not a very good mechanic lol. I took the side cover off and tried some stuff, but people say to remove the flowernut, which i cannot do. I'm assuming something is really stuck in there, and im currently just trying to get it to work lol. So basically when I move the handle manually nothing happens. It gets stiff, and then i cant move it any further but the clutch part with the flowernut (plate?) dosent move at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossy

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
@Greg58 Even manually moving the handle i cannot decompress the spring, so i cant adjust the flowernut at all. @Venice Motor Bikes will try and get some pictures @Mossy I would take the whole thing apart, but I'm not a very good mechanic lol. I took the side cover off and tried some stuff, but people say to remove the flowernut, which i cannot do. I'm assuming something is really stuck in there, and im currently just trying to get it to work lol. So basically when I move the handle manually nothing happens. It gets stiff, and then i cant move it any further but the clutch part with the flowernut (plate?) dosent move at all.
DO NOT START TAKING IT APART!!!

Try pushing the lever on the engine inward (not the handlebar lever)... it takes a bit of force... report back

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a little diagram of the engine clutch lever... The lever has a lot of free play until it points almost straight backwards...
Using your hand, push the lever hard towards the center of the bike; It should move the plate on the opposite side of the engine outwards.

Report back what happens

clutch lever.jpg

Thatoneguy

May 11, 2023
Yes, that's about what my lever looks like. Do appreciate the drawing as well. When I manually pull it in (or would it be push it in) ALL THE WAY the clutch plate (i have the right side open) doesn't move at all. And yes even pushing really hard (probably too hard lol) nothing

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Take it apart and see what's missing or bound up... And there most likely other things wrong with it... And/Or get in touch with the seller for a replacement/refund...
For all you know it's somebody else's return like a bad penny ;)

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Take some pictures of it and where it's from? There's about 5 different pistons about 10 different cranks with 20 different rods 5 different cases 100's of cylinders and 2 different clutches that all look the same and probably more... 100's of sellers... If it's not a Grubee or California motorbikes or CDH power or bicycle engine kit it's going to be something that's going to be a nightmare of parts... Just being honest I would strip it down take a ton of pictures and see what exactly you have... Even if you free it up with a block of wood and a hammer it's a big flashing light there's something else going on with it ;)

Mossy

May 20, 2022
If the spring was over tightend... It's supposed to be flush with the threads... The collar nut can be backed off or at least you can see it from the clutch cable nut on the motor... A screwdriver and moving the rear wheel will loosen or tighten it... If the spring and pintle are misaligned that will jam it... Don't worry about being a mechanic these are entry level stuff that's cheap and perfect to learn on don't need a lot of tools or big space... Do some reading up
Screenshot_20230512-172211.png

Reactions: Thatoneguy

Thatoneguy

May 11, 2023
I will post some pictures and you guys can tell me whats up (if i can get a good picture anyway)
PXL_20230513_180553975.jpg
PXL_20230513_180557561.jpg
PXL_20230513_180606801.jpg
PXL_20230513_180611264.jpg

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Painted engines have been known to have paint over spray on the piston... And you flower lock bolt is missing... Looks to be turned in quit a bit... I'd back it off some but you're still going to need that time screw

Thatoneguy

May 11, 2023
Painted engines have been known to have paint over spray on the piston... And you flower lock bolt is missing... Looks to be turned in quit a bit... I'd back it off some but you're still going to need that time screw
Now what do i do though lol. Get a new screw? i cant really turn it AT ALL

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Use a flat end punch and a hammer and turn it CCW, it's under pressure from the large internal spring. I would turn it 1/2 a round at a time till it will release when you push the clutch arm by hand, you'll need to adjust the cable after turning the flower nut also.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
So you didn't take the small screw out? You can find one at a hardware store. You'll need one to keep the flower nut from backing off after you get it adjusted.

Reactions: Thatoneguy

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I will post some pictures and you guys can tell me whats up (if i can get a good picture anyway) View attachment 113383 View attachment 113384
Remove that long skinny spring from the cable (it's not needed & it actually prevents you from setting the cable tension properly).
After you remove the spring & set it all back up; test the clutch & report back.