Clutch went out

GoldenMotor.com

Nitro24

May 26, 2019
Hey guys I'm really new to this. I brought the bike to work for the first time today about four and a half miles down the road to clutch just stopped working. for me. Everything looks perfect but it's like the bike is in neutral with the clutch out.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Everything looks perfect but it's like the bike is in neutral with the clutch out.
Clutch out? Meaning engaged? To determine proper function. 1st I would check adjustment, loosen cable hold screw at the clutch arm and relax the cable. Clutch should now be "Engaged". If so - get a helper to turn the back wheel while you find the point of release by manually turning the arm inboard to the point of "Disengaged".

Nitro24

May 26, 2019
Yeah so that did not work but thank you. The lever is all the way out, released from cable and it is still like the bike is in neutral. Is there a pin or something that could have broken? It was working perfectly then it was like the bike just went out of gear. Not gradual at all.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Well.. Something failed. Pull the 5 screws from the big cover and look at what is called the flower nut. This holds all your clutch peices together. It does have a set screw in place only to hold it from turning after assembly @ factory. It's possible the threads were pulled / stripped out and the whole thing is in there undone. Hope it's not the case but you must check. While there check the keyed shaft in the small gear be certain that key is not sheared. If all is good there, remove the 3 screw cover which serves as the clutch arm mount and Drive gear cover. Be sure the Buck bar is in place @ center of sprocket with the ball bearing behind it. (hard to see)Look at the keyed shaft in the drive sprocket.You could have sheared that key... Watch this video it will be helpful on its own.

Last edited:

Nitro24

May 26, 2019
Thank you to everyone who tried to help. The culprit was a half-moon-shaped taper pin on the small gear on the right side of the motor. It had fallen out, it was a booger to try to put back in but it now works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg58

James Mazur

Jun 2, 2019
check you drive gear nut it may of backed out and chucked out the keyway.
Hi my small drive nut keeps loosening up my clutch will work for a mile and then it'll just let go and usually if I tighten that small nut in the front that holds that small gear it starts working again but it repeatedly keeps loosening up is there any solution or do I have to replace the motor because it runs great

javy mcdees

Jul 30, 2018
Hi my small drive nut keeps loosening up my clutch will work for a mile and then it'll just let go and usually if I tighten that small nut in the front that holds that small gear it starts working again but it repeatedly keeps loosening up is there any solution or do I have to replace the motor because it runs great
I use a impact screwdriver to tighten that bolt if you cant then use some red/blue loctite on the srew.
20190516_120836.jpg

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Yup. If no impact wrench or driver O.P. can use hammer with a nail punch at far end of screw slot. One Good Whack should do it. Probably a good idea to replace the lock washer under it, all though you may be fine using javy advise locktite.

James Mazur

Jun 2, 2019
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses I've already used the loctite it keeps loosening up on me for some reason also tapped it with a hammer to tighten it up lasted about a mile I'm going to try a new lock washer

James Mazur

Jun 2, 2019
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses I've already used the loctite it keeps loosening up on me for some reason also tapped it with a hammer to tighten it up lasted about a mile I'm going to try a new lock washer
Thank you to everyone who tried to help. The culprit was a half-moon-shaped taper pin on the small gear on the right side of the motor. It had fallen out, it was a booger to try to put back in but it now works.

James Mazur

Jun 2, 2019
I'm pretty sure that's what my problem is but now I messed up I put the loctite on the thread of the small screw on the small gear. Now I can't get the screw that holds the small gear in out because of the loctite. I am not giving up I will fix this problem. Will keep you guys posted