clutch question

GoldenMotor.com

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
dont know much about clutches or motors for that matter this is my first build --

My clutch is sounding funny--sort of squeeling a bit. Is it better for the clutch nut to be tight or loose? When I took off the housing for the clutch and took out the set screw I loosened the little screwy thing inside about a half turn and put it but together.

Maybe I should tighten it back up? When I pop the clutch it will fire right up, but after a few minutes -- there is a loss of power and dies on me, not sure if the clutch is slipping and I dont know the symptoms of a slipping clutch.....any help is appreciated.

NBD

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
Yes
Sorry, I bought from Bikeberry. 66cc not sure if its chinese or other.
Just not sure of exactly how to really do anything with these motors but I did get it running decent, and the clutch seems like I need it a little tighter?

thanks

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
NBD: Greg58 gave you some good links to check out in regards to your clutch situation. When I did my build, I did not use the long compression spring that is used at the engine end of the cable. I see no need for it as the clutch pressure plate provides this pressure. If this spring is used, however, it makes the pull at the handle bar more difficult and puts more wear and stress on the clutch handle. Just make sure that there is a little free play, 1/16" is good, down at the clutch cable end. This assures that the clutch is in full ingagement. I now have over 100 miles on my bike with no problems witht the engine, a Chinese 66cc engine kit. Stick with it, and you'll have a lot of fun with your bike. BMF