clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
Thank you Bikeguy Joe for your response in the "solved whole chain tensioner thingy" Regarding my clutch problem, I removed the small metal rod in the center of the motor sprocket and cleaned out all the grease. The little ball bearing WAS in there, but it appears to be stuck. I was unable to get it out with a magnet or anything else I tried. I am confused by this because the rod and ball bearing fell right out on the floor before when the bike was accidentally tipped over. Also, no matter which way I move the clutch arm I don't feel anything.
About the tire...... If a 2.125 tire will rub on the chain, should I use a smaller tire and wheel on the back? Any help would be very appreciated.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
use a smaller tire or try flipping the sprocket around where the offset of the teeth are farthest away from the tire sometines that enought to clear.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am using a 2.125 tire and wheel...I had a problem with the chain rubbing the tire and I flipped the sprocket over, which gave me the Clarence.

But it caused another problem with the chain rubbing the seat stay. I was able to fix this problem with advice of the great members here. All I did was add two washers to give enough Clarence between the chain and seat stay.

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/chain-rubs-seat-stay-3311.html

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your responses to my problem. I think I have the clutch working right now. I flipped the sprocket and have a bit more room between the chain and the tire, but it depends on how tight the chain is as to whether or not it it rubs. Have any of you had this experience and what did you do about it? I will check out the the link you posted about the chain rubbing the seat stay to see if I can find out anything to give me an idea about the tire. Thanks again for your help.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure your chain runs in a straight line. Do not over tighten it, and make sure the rear lined up straight too.

What was the cure for the clutch ills?

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
It appears that the clutch was just an adjustment problem as was suggested. I am sure learning a lot with this project, thanks to all the help I am getting from this group.
What is the best way to make sure the chain is running straight. Since there are three points (the motor sprocket, the back wheel sprocket and the chain tensioner, I am thinking I could just run a straight edge between any two points and see if the third one lines up. Is there a better way to do this, how about with a laser level?
There seems to be a lot of opinions on just how tight the chain should be. I know it has to be tight enough to stay on the sprockets, but how much play should be in the bottom of the chain if the top part is snug?

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
I am also having a problem with my clutch lever breaking. I was riding down the neighborhood streets yesterday when all of a sudden, I felt my clutch lever break. I couldn't even peddle the bike back to the house. The clutch lever was loose and in the engaged position. How do I fix this? I am trying to learn how to do things and make repairs on my own without having to bother anyone else with this.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
It appears that the clutch was just an adjustment problem as was suggested. I am sure learning a lot with this project, thanks to all the help I am getting from this group.
What is the best way to make sure the chain is running straight. Since there are three points (the motor sprocket, the back wheel sprocket and the chain tensioner, I am thinking I could just run a straight edge between any two points and see if the third one lines up. Is there a better way to do this, how about with a laser level?
There seems to be a lot of opinions on just how tight the chain should be. I know it has to be tight enough to stay on the sprockets, but how much play should be in the bottom of the chain if the top part is snug?
to get it straight, lick your thumb hold it out take a step back and look with one eye...

415 chain i've had good luck with 1/2 to 3/4 inch of total slack

410 chain im finding it best with no slack

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Eyeballing it is probably the best was as stated above.

I would run a little slack even with a 410 chain, too tight and you are asking for bearing problems in the rear wheel, and possibly the clutch shaft.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am also having a problem with my clutch lever breaking. I was riding down the neighborhood streets yesterday when all of a sudden, I felt my clutch lever break. I couldn't even peddle the bike back to the house. The clutch lever was loose and in the engaged position. How do I fix this? I am trying to learn how to do things and make repairs on my own without having to bother anyone else with this.
Are you sure the little brass keeper at the end of the cable didn't just pull loose?

Next time, if there is, just pop the master link off the chain, remove the chain, and pedal home.

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
Well, nothing came loose but then I thought, "Well let me check this thing out" and I noticed that the clutch arm lever had something to do with that. That large pin in the hole was loose and I could even pull it out. I don't know why it's loose but it is. But I pulled it out of the hole(cable still attached)to get a better look. But I noticed that the arm has to be in a certain position in order for the clutch to work. I wish I could get an inside look behind this motor plate so I could see how this pin is held in place. One of the plate screws will not unscrew, but if I can get a good look inside, I could see how this pin is attached and maybe fix it myself, I don't know. This guy I know, had asked me to bring a picture of what the motor looks like with the plate off so he could get a better look at how this pin is attached.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The pin is in there to keep the lever from pulling out as you did, that's all it does. It shouldn't effect the operation of you clutch in any other way.

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
What happened with the clutch arm I learned, is that it came loose from the metal pin (I'm thinking from motor vibration) and that pin is loose in the hole because it can be pulled out. But what keeps the pin in place? It shouldn't be loose like this, right?

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
Also I am wondering if I need a whole new plate with the 3 screws in it? Is that called a clutch plate? You know what I'm talking about? And if I do need one, where can I get one?

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
Man, I tell you! If it's not one thing with these bike engines, it's another. Now I can't get the motor to start. I have gas in it but I don't know what's wrong with it now. But I guess this new issue would be on another thread right? Anyway, I'll check elsewhere on the forum and try to find out what this new problem could be. But I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it has to do with an air intake problem. I could be wrong but I am a newbie here and still learning.