Clutch gets harder to disengage as motor warms up.

GoldenMotor.com

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
image.jpeg Hi everyone, I have a 66cc motor with a NT carb and expansion chamber exhaust. When I start the bike, when the engine is cold, it starts up right away. Good throttle response and accelleration. As it warms up, it becomes harder to accelerate, idle, and get moving from a stop. At the end of the ride, it feels as if the clutch is not disengaging because moving the bike becomes difficult. It all returns to normal when the motor cools down after a couple of hours and I start it up again. I'd appreciate any kind of help with this guys, Thank you.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if your clutch is slipping, it may get very hot and the pads will expand enough to drag

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
if your clutch is slipping, it may get very hot and the pads will expand enough to drag
Hi crassius, thanks for replying . I installed a new clutch cable a few weeks ago. I've also removed the flower nut and clutch plate to check the pads and the spring. I've also check the bucking bar to see if it was worn.

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
View attachment 98608 Hi everyone, I have a 66cc motor with a NT carb and expansion chamber exhaust. When I start the bike, when the engine is cold, it starts up right away. Good throttle response and accelleration. As it warms up, it becomes harder to accelerate, idle, and get moving from a stop. At the end of the ride, it feels as if the clutch is not disengaging because moving the bike becomes difficult. It all returns to normal when the motor cools down after a couple of hours and I start it up again. I'd appreciate any kind of help with this guys, Thank you.
Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions to my problem? I'm out of things to look at.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the work you describe on the clutch does not ensure it isn't slipping - it needs to be adjusted properly to grab enough and it needs to be free of fuel and grease (a small carb leak can seep into that cover)

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
the work you describe on the clutch does not ensure it isn't slipping - it needs to be adjusted properly to grab enough and it needs to be free of fuel and grease (a small carb leak can seep into that cover)
When I remove the cover and pull the lever, I check to see if the plate moves out ever so slightly. It does, then I release it and see if the bike rolls, and it doesn't. I do this when the motor is cool. It doesn't explain why the clutch .becomes harder to disengage when the motor warms up, then back to normal once it cools back down

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
watching the plate go in-&-out, in-&-out, in-&-out, may be entertaining if someone is into machine pR0n, but has nothing to do with cable/clutch adjustment

I've probably posted 100 times the full procedure and others might raise that number of posts to 1000 or so - doing it right should help.

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
watching the plate go in-&-out, in-&-out, in-&-out, may be entertaining if someone is into machine pR0n, but has nothing to do with cable/clutch adjustment

I've probably posted 100 times the full procedure and others might raise that number of posts to 1000 or so - doing it right should help.
Thank you for the rather insulting reply but I already know how to properly adjust the clutch. And if I didn't, I know that these forums contain all the info for maintaining it. But whats with the hostile reply? My OP asks a question that has not been posted here before. If so, please point the way to me. Can you tell me why my clutch works perfectly fine one minute, then needs adjustment a few minutes later, then goes back to normal on it's own as the motor cools down? I would humbly accept your condensending remarks in exchange for a reasonable explanation or solution. I will, in the meantime, review your posts on clutch adjustment and apply it to my situation.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the only thing I can think of that can do that is clutch slipping so that pads swell up