clutch chain issues

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
hey guys, if you have been following my build, you would know that i've been adding and playing around with parts. I got my centrifugal clutch transmission reinstalled, and everything aligned down to 1/32". my clutch chain keeps throwing links though.

Do i need to get a bigger chain, or is it just that i need to align it down to 1/64" or tighter?

I'm using a 415 chain on the cluch. None of the other chains are having this problem.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Even though the chain is aligned as much as I could get it aligned with the tools I have, the chain drops a link plate and comes apart. I'm beginning to think that the engine is too powerful to use a standard 415 chain if its causing the chain to drop link plates.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
"Even though the chain is aligned as much as I could get it aligned with the tools I have" and by eye looking from wheel spkt to motor spkt it should line up across the top length - teeth to teeth; if so that should be good.
BUT!
"the chain drops a link plate and comes apart."
I have no idea what that means? Do you mean the link plates pop off the pins? Or the master link clip pops off the pins?
the chain drops a link plate and comes apart????

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've recently seen some of those sprockets that are a bit too fat for 415H - I use #41 industrial chain on them (and it's even a cheaper chain)

try tractor supply near you

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I have some 420 motorcycle power transfer chain, so I'm going to try that. Because it is a bit wider, it should be more tolerant of slight misalignments.
"Even though the chain is aligned as much as I could get it aligned with the tools I have" and by eye looking from wheel spkt to motor spkt it should line up across the top length - teeth to teeth; if so that should be good.
BUT!
"the chain drops a link plate and comes apart."
I have no idea what that means? Do you mean the link plates pop off the pins? Or the master link clip pops off the pins?
the chain drops a link plate and comes apart????
My bike is a 7 speed shifter. I have four chains on the dang thing, and not a single one of them have I had a problem with, except for the clutch chain. On that chain alone, I have had to replace almost 16 links, all of them were outer links. For some reason or other, one of the link plates comes off the pins, allowing the remaining plate to flex, allowing the chain to come apart. One ride, that chain came off so often, I had a welt on my thigh. The master link is staying put through all of this.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Wow! i never heard such a thing happen before, first for every little thing i guess. Havn't used kit chains ever. I always get the 41 from Tractor Supply as mentioned above. I hope you get it sorted out. Sorry for your frustration.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Think what he has is a CVT or Max clutch, they call for # 41 chain i think. And 415 would be to narrow, must be spreading apart when going, and popping off the pins. # 420 may work but like said #41 is cheaper and heavier .................Curt

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Think what he has is a CVT or Max clutch, they call for # 41 chain i think. And 415 would be to narrow, must be spreading apart when going, and popping off the pins. # 420 may work but like said #41 is cheaper and heavier .................Curt
I took the CVT off, and I'm using the cent clutch again. I put the 420 power transfer chain on there, and haven't had any issues with it since. However, the final drive chain just popped a pin and link plate. Looking at one specially made for cargo bikes. Also looking at making me a custom cluster to optimize my gearing. I'm also thinking of swapping the 17t on the left of the jackshaft for a 10t, lower the ratio from the drive sprocket on the engine tranny to the chain rings to 1:1. Making the first gear in the cluster a 36 should work for takeoff, and maybe a 28 for second. The rest will work themselves out.