Clown Bike........the Build!

GoldenMotor.com

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Yea, it's a bit crazy, but......it's still fun! Easy to do, won't cost you much, and you can watch your friends bust their asses on it! Let's get started.

First, you'll need one of these:

Last edited:

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Yank this stuff off first. You won't be needing it:

This is what you'll have when you're done:

Next, go find yourself a used Goped. No need for a pic. You should know what that is. Look it over carefully. Kids beat the life right outta them! If you can get a complete runner, life will be easier. You'll need everything off of it to complete the build.

I would start on the front end first. You'll have to make a run to the hardware store and get a longer bolt for the front axle. You'll be using the bike forks and they're a little wider. Dig up some spacers for the axle too. The brake mounting will test your tinkering skills but it's usually not a big deal. I also suppose you could also rig a way to use the Goped forks but I never do. Whatever way you do it is up to you.

Last edited:

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
After looking at my previous post I wanted to make mention of the Goped wheels and tires. These are the hard tires found the "Sport" model of Gopeds. Stock Goped wheels are fine but you may want to upgrade to billet wheels like mine. They are available in a wide variety of styles and anodized colors.

Ok, front end finished. If you've gotten this far you've got the necessary skills to complete this project. What we're headed for next is to turn this bike into a "roller". Let's tackle the swingarm.

It may take a little longer but I suggest you make a cardboard template of the swingarm and the rear end "box" section of the Goped. Once you do this, lining things up squarely and getting the angle right will be easy. Tweak it, measure it, look at it. Here's what I'm talking about:

BTW, Old soft drink or beer box cardboard works great. The cardboard is thin, easy to cut and work with.

Last edited:

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
In this next pic you see the rear box section from the Goped has been cut from the Goped frame, ground smooth and ready for the next step. Lay the cardboard templates you made on the swingarm and make cuts to the arm. Not in this pic but you get the idea:

Now don't get freaked out on the next step, welding the box to the arm. If you don't have the skills or equipment, no problem. The cheapest, easiest, fastest way to get this done is to roll into your local body shop or automotive repair shop. They'll usually knock this out the same day or even while you wait. $20-$30 bucks tops will usually take care of it. After that, it's all down hill from here!

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
At this point I could say we're done. All you have to do now is transfer the remaining parts from the Goped. Gas tank, engine, control cables, levers, etc. Keep in mind you will have to shorten the Goped brake and throttle cables. If you've made it this far, fixing the cables won't be that difficult.

I hope it's ok the post a couple of links that will help you with anything related to this build. Here are my top recommendations:

Best place to learn about Gopeds:
http://www.gopednation.com/forum/

Best place for any and all parts you'll ever need:
http://www.davesmotors.com/site/index.html

I'm also quite fond of this place for parts:
http://www.adaracing.com/

Also, don't forget about Ebay and Craigslist. Both are great places to find the bikes, Gopeds, and parts.

Any questions? Post up....let's build!

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
BTW, Don't forget to get some BMX grind pegs. You'll need somewhere to put your feet. Just mount them where the cranks used to go. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loop

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I have to say I was sceptical about a MB project with the word "clown" in it, but this is awesome ! If you don't mind me asking, what's your hieght/weight ? It 'll give the people who watch the video a better idea of the size and power of the lil monster.

MHF

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
LOL when i saw your numberplates........ i was with everyone else and wasnt sure about this but cool, very cool, way way cooler then a goped if you ask me

bbqb4racin

Jan 25, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I have to say I was sceptical about a MB project with the word "clown" in it, but this is awesome ! If you don't mind me asking, what's your hieght/weight ? It 'll give the people who watch the video a better idea of the size and power of the lil monster.

MHF
A friend of mine is riding the bike in the video. Never asked his height or weight. I'm a little taller and heavier than him, 6' 1" @ 205lbs. It hauls me just as fast and easy as him. No lack of power!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Now that's slick! Reminds me of a Popular Mechanics plan from the 1960's that I wanted to build when I was a younger kid.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

user54086

Jun 20, 2020
I have built several of these clown bicycles using Go-Ped Sport parts. I bought one of the very first Go-Peds years ago. This little bikes are fun and you don’t need a lot of horsepower to go fast. They’re not a children’s toy. They for experienced adult riders. All it takes is a touch of throttle to wheelie. They‘re a lot of fun and can be built on a budget

user54086

Jun 20, 2020
I purchased a clown bicycle like the one in post, been purchasing parts to build a anther one of these bikes. This build I‘m using a chain drive Go-Ped rear wheel and 54mm engine mount. Keeping bike simple and low budget. Will be posting soon. Been a little slow obtaining Go-Ped parts! Seems sellers are out of stock on so many of parts required to build a Go-Ped of a bike using Go-Ped parts. Never seen as many out of stock parts. You have to keep searching until finding what you need. EBay parts a lot of times have a large price mark up. Luckily I was able to find required Go-Ped parts to get started. Be posting soon.