chain tensioner mod (in response to norman)

GoldenMotor.com

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Ok heres mine :D

this is just a regular spring found almost everywhere using a washer type piece from a cheap batery lead. and the metal strip that is supposed to be used for the chainguard

this is the chain tensioner with the bearing, not the regular one.

and keeping with tradition. I present to you Elgren: (applause)

this is when he is clean

I will try out normans mod too.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What does the spring do? Is it to keep the tensioner straight, or is the tensioner mounted loose so the spring keeps it pulled back and the chain tight?

Last edited:

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
a bit of both actually. it keeps the chain taut. theres not really much "tightness" actually. I got the idea from regular chain tensioners, for cars and motorcycles.

then thing is that this kit did not like any slack at all on the tensioner. when there was more torque on the engine after a while the tensioner kinda moved back towards the front wheel and it looked like it tilted a bit towards the spokes, even though I had tightened the thing "gorilla tight".

I had thought of drilling a hole through the tensioner plate, into the chainstay of the bike, a-la norman, but I decided to look for an alternative to drilling a hole on the frame. (the frame is a raleigh and it think its nice :oops: :oops: )

The bikes coasts freely with NO vibration from the chain, very smooth. I think because its the "sealed bearing tensioner" and not the regular one that I was able to get away with this. I remember trying to get the stock tensioner taut on my 2stroke kits when I first got them, and NO-GO. too much friction the tensioner wheels would not spin properly. the stock tensioners I think run better with a good amount of play on the chain. it rattles a bit but it they run just fine. I think it was actually one of YOUR posts that convinced me to let the chain loose, before that I wanted to get it to have some "tension". :confused:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I'm glad this topic is up as I will be dealing with this issue soon. I notice that mine will soon be falling off because it is wearing out. Stupid idea with no bearing.
I once saw a pic of a person who used the rear derailer as a spring loaded chain tensioner. That is my goal. On my old frame I was able to leave the tensioner off but now I find that I need it and must admit that it quietens things down and is worth using.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Toytime: yeah actually I did that too. I had to bend the tensioner plate a bit to get the derailleur wheel to line up exactly, because the first one I put did not line up PERFECT and it broke. I think the same happened to largefilipino with his.

If you try it make sure it lines up perfectly with the chain, at least that what I found out....the hard way :(

that actually made the ride a little smoother yes. When I read what I believe was bikeguy joe's post on leaving 1 inch or more slack on the chain I couldnt resist messing with it and tried it. it worked just fine, I just have not had a need to change it over. but when I do I'll probably find something with a bearing to experiment.

GOOD LUCK! :ride2:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks for that heads-up on the derailleur, that's too bad because it "looked' like it would work well. I think I will go and find a free wheeling pulley type thing with bearings as that should last for years. I still like the idea of a spring though. If you were to leave your bolt loose (with two nuts) and your spring was pulling upwards (instead of towards the rear) you would have that slot for play, allowing the spring to pull upwards. (look at your first pic) Nice clear pics, by the way!

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
dont missunderstand, the derailleur wheel does work VERY well. you just have to aling it just right. I would use it again, only I have a problem with leaving well enough alone, gotta keep fiddling with things :crash:

YES! youre completely right, actually tried that, but I got lazy :( did not want to figure out how to attach it to the top and keep it from rolling down (hose clamp maybe :confused: ) I only took 10< min to think about it get the parts and rig it up. Its a VERY simple and lazy mod, with definite room for improvement.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Ok, I will try the derailleur idea then. I must admit that now that I have given in to using a chain tensioner, I would never go without one. It is SO much quieter without all that chain rattle. I've had three dump trucks worth of "fill" dumped on my lawn so I will be busy for the next couple of weeks but after that, oh and I have a fence to build, but after that I will try this chain thing out.
Thanks for your input!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., here's a thought....why not use astro's idea and take it one step farther? Cut the tensioner, then bolt it back together with a nut and bolt so it will pivot and then use the spring set up just the same way?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I feed off crazy, multiply it and throw it back to you!rotfl

One step more....use two of the back side pieces and drill the longer one that holds the pulley to bolt in between them.

May have to cut down the parts a bit, but I like the way you think. (using the factory parts in non-factory application).

HOOKWORMRIDER1

May 21, 2008
Decatur Illinois
The best way to fix the chain tenisioner is to throw that crap in the garbage can
and make one out of a strap of stainless and use a skatebord wheel with berrings,
grind the center out the wheel the width of the chain.Have over 3000 miles on
mine and it still works perfectly.You can go to any sheet metal shop and they will
give or sell a small piece .

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Ok heres mine :D

this is just a regular spring found almost everywhere using a washer type piece from a cheap batery lead. and the metal strip that is supposed to be used for the chainguard

this is the chain tensioner with the bearing, not the regular one.

and keeping with tradition. I present to you Elgren: (applause)

this is when he is clean

I will try out normans mod too.
Man I love that cat he just reeks mischievous deeds I have a tuxedo cat as well almost the same markings . Does yours claw you when you walk by and your back is towards him then after he does it look at you like "Hey it wasn't me " yet he is the only cat within 2 miles of ya house
?
pood pood.jpg

Aug19_003.jpg