Chain tension wt. rear suspension

GoldenMotor.com

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I posted this as the last post of my introduction thread, but it was so hidden that I didn't get any comments.

"I have my Honda GXH50 (Small Engine Warehouse) in hand and have the GruBee in frame kit (Five Flags) on the way, Will take the engine and mount bike shopping. COSTCO has a Schwinn Midtown model wt. shock fork, shock seat post and spring swinging rear wheel. Not sure if a spring loaded derailer sprocket (in place of the idler) would work to keep the chain tight enough?"

I would appreciate any opinions or experience from those that have practical hands on rather than just technical knowledge like mine. )

Regards, Jim

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have no experience with a full suspension bike- but I have the same engine (from SEW) and have the same kit (different vendor). Once you get everything set up, I think you will like it.

I'll take a shot and say that you are going to want more tension than a typical derailleur will give. If it were not a rear suspension, it may work, but with all that movement, I would be very wary of losing the chain.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I don't want to hear it, but I fear you are correct. The first thing might be to try to use a standard derailleur and see if I could use a heaver adjustable spring to actuate it. Then there is the consideration of the constant "push" might cause mechanical problems. Thinking first of the derailluer bearing? Obviously just mounting an engine on an existing frame offers enough alignment problems on its' own to have a dependable ride. Adding my mod would only add to the problem. Appreciate the input. As I haven't bought the bike (and the kit hasn't arrived by pony express from FL) there is still time to try not to shoot myself in the foot. Guess if it didn't work, you could always replace the spring for the rear suspension with a solid link? Jim

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's a pic in here somewhere, where someone spring loaded a chain tensioner... Maybe you could do something like it with a derailleur?

Does anyone recall the thread that has those pics?