Chain size chart

Discussion in 'Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains' started by Greg58, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is a man who knows how to align and tension roller chain.
    Thanks TJ.

Greg is another one. Set up right, aligned, lubricated and the tension correct there is no reason for chain probelms.
    It isn't rocket science, just common mechanical sense. The chain must be aligned with the sprokets and kept at the proper tension. They'll give you miles and miles of trouble free service.

Thanks guys.

Tom

#61 2door, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. SlowMoShadow

SlowMoShadow New Member

I have a 49cc 2 stroke 20t front sprocket 44t rear . #25h chain how fast should it go what mpg can I expect this is my first build. Should I get a bigger chain was thinking #35 any help?

3. Greg58

Greg58 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, standard chain is #410 the upgrade chain is #415, you can also use #41 which is what I use. I have broke both of the former chain but never have broke the #41. 41 is the widest of the three, some people have had clearance problems under the cover but I haven't had any.

4. Chainreaction

Chainreaction New Member

I am using #35 chain (except for crank to derailer), smaller 3/8's pitch mean smaller sprockets and less weight. More available sprockets. Seems like win/win.

5. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I'm with 2door on chains.
    #41 industrial is going to outlast practically everything on your bike but the frame.
    And it's easy to grind the needed clearance under the sprocket cover.
    It's like a bulldozer part bolted on an ultralight.

6. indian22

indian22 Active Member

Has anyone had experience with the #420 chain? The chart shows it to be much stronger than the 41 & all dimensions the same except for being 1/16" wider between the plates. I wouldn't be using on a China girl but rather a Honda125cc so chain to case clearence is not a factor.I'd like to use a Manic style hub adaptor and Manic 48t sprocket, all mounted on a coaster brake hub (110)...I'm running a wide rear triangle so I've got quite a bit of room to work with. Comments appreciated.

7. Jonda500

Jonda500 New Member

I have 420 chain on most of my 6 m/b's- the rollers have a tendancy to shatter (twice I've had 420 rollers fail!) and they look crappy and have alot of side to side play. I like the look of the 415 chain a lot more because the plates are thicker and the rollers are nice symmetrical cylinders that dont have excessive side to side play; and because the width between the plates is narrower wich matches the thickness of the sprockets better, but, most of my chinese output sprockets wont work with the 415 chain (seems like the gear teeth are too long? maybe I could modify the teeth but easier just to buy new engine sprockets!)

edit- my 420 chain looks just like 2doors 415 chain in quality but is wider, and my 415 chain is narrow like 2doors but has bigger thicker plates and better rollers

#67 Jonda500, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  8. Greg58

Greg58 Active Member

I haven't had any problems with any of the bikes I've built using the wider #41 chain, a lot of the better quality kits come with the 415. The only problems I've heard of was the chain rubbing the inside of the sprocket cover which is easy to repair.

9. terrymorgan

terrymorgan New Member

I removed too many links in my kit chain, bought another one #415h-110L Chain 49cc,
    the new one's at the top of this pic, it doesn't fit, seller told me to 'tilt the engine', would
    that work?

Attached Files:

10. Jonda500

Jonda500 New Member

I can't see tilting the engine helping at all.
    You have found the same frustrating chain/sprocket compatibility issue that I have struggled with big time! Ideally, if you buy an engine sprocket with more pointy teeth, it could solve your issue but you wouldn't know for sure until it arrived - a more surefire fix would be to buy a 420 motorized bicycle chain (but I hate these dodgey looser fit chains!) N.B. Your chains/sprocket/results may differ from mine!
    John

11. TheNecromancer13

I use a #420 chain ever since my #415 catastrophically failed one day while I was in the middle of a highway in heavy traffic with a 45mph speed limit and almost got hit by a car. I have not had any problems with the #420. It looks to be stronger than the #415, and it fits the chinagirl engines as well.

#71 TheNecromancer13, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015