Chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

Sean Clarke

May 21, 2018
Perth
I have had bike chain problems for a while now, often when I hit 50km/h one of the links will just come apart and my chain comes off. I have fun out of spare chain parts to repair the chain this time. Im wondering if there is a better chain I can get for the bike and where can I buy a chain from?? I can't find anywhere with a decent price. I do not have a master link on my chain.

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If your chain alignment is good then make sure the clip for the master link is pointed in the right direction. That is with the closed end of the "U" pointed towards the engine on the top run of chain.

Also be sure you have the right amount of play, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. A chain will stretch during break in so keep an eye on it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
many times, once a chain has been broken or come off the sprocket, it has some bent links that will never let it run true again

you must get a new one at that time

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
dunno, I just bought 400 feet of high-quality pre-greased chain for the shop and have a shelf of packages of 110 link kit chain on hand, but you should probably check ebay sellers to get it delivered if there is no shop in your area