Chain Half-Links Any Good

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by rohmell, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

I have a project that I am working on and one chain link makes the difference between the chain being too long or too short, so I am wondering if the half-links are good and reliable to use in a build, or are they just a gimmick?

Half Link.jpg

#1 rohmell, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Half links have been around for years and used successfully in many applications. There are some who will tell you that master and half liks are source of problems but then there are hundreds if not thousands of motorbikes and industrial uses for them and they seem to work well if installed correctly. I like the half links that rely on the small cotter pin as opposed to the spring type. Buy quality industrial grade items and stay away from the cheap big box/department store variety.
    Tom

3. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I had problems with one on the 415 chain, but I used one to good effect on the 410 side.

4. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

One vendor states:

"When installing face the cotter pin out or it will catch on Chain Gear cover".

To me, this is contradicting. If the cotter pin is facing out, then it is facing the side where the chain gear cover is located.

5. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Yeah, mine caught the cover all right, put a nice scratch in it. So I dremeled out the scratch and it it still was clunky.

I gave up and removed it.

No clunky.

6. DaveC

DaveC Member

I used a half-link on my RM 250 cc Suzuki watercooled motor on my gokart. It used a 420 chain. 66 horse power and 18" of ground contact, not the inch a bike has and never had a problem. Like 2door said use the ones with a cotter pin, much more reliable.

7. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

8. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

They make a chain that uses nothing but half-links. A foot or two of this type of chain, and I would have enough half-links for the rest of my life.

Maybe this type of link is better than the ones that use springs or cotter pins because they are press-fit like a normal roller chain, and no protrusions to catch on anything?

halflink kmc_pt710.jpg

9. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Active Member

But, the issue is there when you're dealing with the half link master link.

10. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

Not an issue here since i do not use master links, that is why the cotter pin is a concern.

11. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Active Member

Depending on your build you might not be able to get away with using a complete sealed chain like that.

12. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

Well, I was going to purchase 10 of these half-links from a vendor that advertises here, but when I saw the ridiculous charges for shipping 10 little half-links, I removed this vendor from my favorites list, and bought the items on eBay instead.
    suckyshipping.jpg