Carburetor leaks Gasoline out of the Air Filter

GoldenMotor.com

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Well, kinda self explanatory, the carb is leakin' gas out of the air filter, simple as that. For all that are interested, the carb is at a 25° angle (max); it is brand spankin' new (1 month, max); the brand name is Bofeng® (yes, I know, cheap and Chinese); and it likes to pour gas when it is a full tank, but as soon as I move the petcock lever on the off position, it stops immediately.

Nothing would make me happier then to see this not leak, bcuz it is a major nuisance of having to fill up your bike after going only 14 mile, and every time I see it drip I can here my dad in my head fussing and griping because I'm getting gas allover the yard and driveway (which is something I can not stand). Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I would prefer not to have to do anything major like rebuilding the carb, or replacing it all together; but I know somethin's gonna have to give, and I don't think I'm gonna like it, but oh well.
smile.gif

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Well, kinda self explanatory, the carb is leakin' gas out of the air filter, simple as that. For all that are interested, the carb is at a 25° angle (max);
carb mounted at a 25* angel is too much
Take the carb off and hold it level, Now turn on the gas, Does it still leak gas thru the air filter?

and it likes to pour gas when it is a full tank, but as soon as I move the petcock lever on the off position, it stops immediately.
Strange you say it stop leaking gas when you turn the petcock off LOL rotfl

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you or your dad can take the carb apart it may have debris in the needle and seat, I've had to bend the float tang a little to reduce the fuel level too. It's not very complicated, if you built the bike you can probably repair the leak too.

Reactions: Chad_Broski

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Whenever I have a carb that leaks like that, the first thing I try is lifting the rear wheel off the ground about a foot & dropping it to the ground to shake the bike as hard as possible to try to get the piece of dirt to pass through the carb.

Try dropping it a few times with the gas turned on... You might get lucky & see the leak stop! ;)

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Take the carb off and hold it level, Now turn on the gas, Does it still leak gas thru the air filter?
I have took the bike and put it at a sharp angle to make the carburetor nearly level and to see if the leaking would stop, but it didn't; though at least the leaking was not as bad.

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Whenever I have a carb that leaks like that, the first thing I try is lifting the rear wheel off the ground about a foot & dropping it to the ground to shake the bike as hard as possible to try to get the piece of dirt to pass through the carb.

Try dropping it a few times with the gas turned on... You might get lucky & see the leak stop! ;)
I have tried something similar to this by beating the carb fairly hard with a wrench (because at this point I was getting frustrated), but it was no use, it had stopped leaking for a few minutes but then it just started back.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also I believe I forgot to mention that it does not leak when I turn the petcock on, but after it starts running a little bit it starts to leak, don't know if that's helpful or not.

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Time to look at the carb, See if there's any dirt in there, Inspect the float needle and seat for the smallest fleck of dirt. Spray it with carb cleaner

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
So, I just dismantled the carb, and sure enough there was what looked like little rust bits all along the bottom of the bowl.
thumb_really-meme-face-really-52943700.png

But anyways, I cleaned the carburetor out with some clean rags and I doused it all in WD-40 (I had no Carb and Choke cleaner on hand), and also oddly enough when I sprayed some WD-40 down the fuel inlet, a clump of dirt 1/32 of an inch in size came out of the whole where the needle seats; don't know of that was enough to case problems or not, but at least it was removed.

Now I just have to wait for my new chain to coming bcuz the previous one has broke twice now :rolleyes: so I guess I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
So, I just dismantled the carb, and sure enough there was what looked like little rust bits all along the bottom of the bowl.
View attachment 109651

But anyways, I cleaned the carburetor out with some clean rags and I doused it all in WD-40 (I had no Carb and Choke cleaner on hand), and also oddly enough when I sprayed some WD-40 down the fuel inlet, a clump of dirt 1/32 of an inch in size came out of the whole where the needle seats; don't know of that was enough to case problems or not, but at least it was removed.

Now I just have to wait for my new chain to coming bcuz the previous one has broke twice now :rolleyes: so I guess I will keep you updated.
Damn you had a clump of dirt come out where the needle seats. I bet ya fixed it.
In the future buy some carb cleaner

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Ya and maybe check your gas can for crud..........Curt
It had a fuel filter from the get-go, so I am led to believe that either the carburetor, fuel filter, or fuel lines had junk inside of them, but I don't recall seeing any junk inside the fuel filter & lines, so I think there was "crud" inside the carb from the beginning. On the other hand, I had managed to loose the screws to the carb's cover, so I had to run it without an air filter for roughly a week, but I don't see how any dirt would of got in the bowl (and even the needle's seat).

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It had a fuel filter from the get-go, so I am led to believe that either the carburetor, fuel filter, or fuel lines had junk inside of them, but I don't recall seeing any junk inside the fuel filter & lines, so I think there was "crud" inside the carb from the beginning. On the other hand, I had managed to loose the screws to the carb's cover, so I had to run it without an air filter for roughly a week, but I don't see how any dirt would of got in the bowl (and even the needle's seat).
You should be good to go then......Curt

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Better make sure it's not gonna happen again

There should be a filter screen on the petcock check that for dirt.
If the screen is dirty or missing clean out the gas tank, Change your fuel filter and fuel lines

Tip: Keep the funnel you use to fill up your gas tank covered and clean
If it's just laying around the garage dirt and dust get in the funnel and when ya pour gas in your tank dirt and dust get in your tank.

I'm always grinding or sanding in my garage, I keep my gas funnel in it's own bag to keep it clean so it's always clean and ready for use