Can't seal the Carb up!

GoldenMotor.com

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Ive tried siliconing the carb up twice and putting on a oring once (at the intake and carb connection). Should I get an o-ring from sick bick parts or could it be leaking at the float? The gas inlet on the carb seems to leak too. I cant figure out how to seal up the darn thing! Should I go get a flat o-ring from ACE. How do I know if its gas proof?

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
No its an air leak. I dont think its leaking fuel much if at all. I did notice some leaking but could be from priming pin.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Unless there is a crack or something (it happens) sealing well with silicone should work fine. It's just messy, ugly, nasty, and a pain in the ass.

How is the gasket on the engine side?

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
bowl gasket might be screwy. the engine side gasket was fine last time I checked.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Just an idea here:

Mine was leakin' like a sieve so I tightened the screws good and the inlet as well and it stopped for a little while. When it started again, it was spittin' out the air intake. Take it apart and look at the float. If your float looks like mine then you may have the same problem I have. My float had somehow sucked fuel into it, thereby making it not float and caused it to leak. Don't ask my how it filled up with fuel-it's still a mystery to me, but it did and it doesn't want to leak out either!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A float with fuel in it should be replaced or repaired.
Use a soldering iron to repair after the gas has been removed.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
A float with fuel in it should be replaced or repaired.
Use a soldering iron to repair after the gas has been removed.
That's a good idea! I've been wondering about the best way to seal it back up after the gas has been removed. What gets me is how it got in there to begin with and why if won't leak out.....very bizare if you ask me!

I'll have to fix it because I wouldn't know where to find another float for it.

Hey, what about filling it up with Great Stuff when I'm done?

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
thanks for your help so far. Silicon didn't work. I want to do a o-ring. Dax suggested a flat one from ace. Will the one from sick bike parts work? Does it need to be fuel resistant?

I tightened my inlet too but I dont think it leaks air from there but I did notice slow down after spraying carb cleaner. I dont think the top where the throttle cable screws on is loose anymore.

Dang this thing is a pain. I wish it would seal up.

thanks

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
its not the intake gasket its the carb/gasket connection where an oring usually goes

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it's leaking where the four "slots" are, try grinding it down on a belt sander or bench grinder. I had to do that with one so it would seal. If it won't slide on far enough, it will suck air at the ends of those slots.