Camouflage from theives/killers on a friction?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Camouflage, disguise, and locking it down!!

I am locked in and going full throttle. I am going to get the Robin for my friction drive kit I ordered. I would like to know if there is a way to lock down, weld or do something to deter theft while locked up? If you have ideas or photos post them here. If one is cruising down the road it is always interesting to non industrious people to want a bail out package in the form of my bicycle with motor and have a fender to accomplish that task fairly well with. Smash and grab.

I am personally thinking of building a re-bar cage that has a cable snaked through it that would close access for engine removal. This would work also I was thinking of milk crates on top of the motor with sections removed from the crate and insert sides inside the crate to obscure the view from most angles. Brainstorm with me.. How about an old cooler with the bottom cut out? This can be very helpful for people who can't afford much else or just slightly boycott foreign oil. Whatever your reason for riding motorized.. I want mine disguised.

:-||

Let's all think here and save each others seats.

offroad

Dec 31, 2008
Connecticut
Was thinking of getting a bicycle backpack and putting it over the engine as camo. Out of sight out of mind. Others have suggested getting locking bolts and nuts, that require special tools to remove. Then you just need to lock up the bicycle.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Can anybody provide locking nuts and bolts links at their convenience? I remember seeing locking lugs for cars and one way screws. I also wonder if the backpack would burn if close to a muffler. Perhaps a sideways airport luggage pull behind with the bottom cut out. This is all good information. Thanks offroad!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I found a thin 48" cable to lock my bicycle seat onto the frame. Then I realized it was long enough to snake around the engine's clutch housing to secure engine AND bike seat. That $5 cable would easily secure the Staton friction drive OR chain drive gearbox.

My 8 foot curly-cue bike cable could also wrap around the engine's clutch and secure it to the bike frame..bld.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Just put a tack weld on the nuts... You can cut them off with a grinder if you need to remove the engine!
Thanks 57 & VB!! I should have thought that out. I might do both tack weld and super snake cable or separate krypto lock. Whatever feels right.. I might even cut into or weld onto the gearbox/rackmount. Whatever seems best but that engine is priority to protect. I might even get an old steel milk crate and do something with that.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
The only real way to keep your ride safe IMHO is to buy a GPS unit for your bike. I know they are out there as my Bro was talking about one for his $60.000 Harley. No matter how you secure your motor/ bike to a bike stand if theives have the time with no one around it will be gone!!! GPS with motion sensor is the only safe way...POPS

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
The only real way to keep your ride safe IMHO is to buy a GPS unit for your bike. I know they are out there as my Bro was talking about one for his $60.000 Harley. No matter how you secure your motor/ bike to a bike stand if theives have the time with no one around it will be gone!!! GPS with motion sensor is the only safe way...POPS
Interesting. Any links for us or brand names you have heard of? It would have to be pretty well hidden whatever it is. Can it be hidden? Would engine heat destroy the chip/unit?

.we.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well luckily someone cutting down a tree should be fairly obvious to passers by :)

The more time it will take to steal your stuff, the less likely it is to get stolen. Granted, there will always be people out there that will take it no matter what, but it at least lessens your chances.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
The local Whizzer dealer, yes there is one, or was one, in Tucson had two Whizzers stolen from his front yard in less than a minute.
The bikes were chained to a Schedule 80 2" pipe, "U" shaped with the ends in concrete. The dealer went inside to pee and a few seconds later, a four wheel drive truck arrived, the thieves ran a chain around the pipe and using the truck, yanked the whole thing from the ground, concrete, pipe and bikes.
He heard an engine revving up and went he got out the door his bikes and all were last seen in the bed of a large truck.
Obvious? Heck yeah! :D
Thieves-1 Honest dealer-Negative 2

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
The local Whizzer dealer, yes there is one, or was one, in Tucson had two Whizzers stolen from his front yard in less than a minute.
The bikes were chained to a Schedule 80 2" pipe, "U" shaped with the ends in concrete. The dealer went inside to pee and a few seconds later, a four wheel drive truck arrived, the thieves ran a chain around the pipe and using the truck, yanked the whole thing from the ground, concrete, pipe and bikes.
He heard an engine revving up and went he got out the door his bikes and all were last seen in the bed of a large truck.
Obvious? Heck yeah! :D
Thieves-1 Honest dealer-Negative 2
I had a homemade 3 wheeler West Coast Chopper stolen last year. It was left unlocked overnight. I figured people were scarred of the dogs because I always turn them loose to pee and they scare the **** out of the trespassers if any at that moment. I pull my dogs around on my bike trailer sometimes in their case to the woods.. They like it.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
For leaving a bike in a store parking lot for a short time I've often thought that a ratty-looking canvas or nylon cover for the whole bike would be a good theft deterent. Park near a busy entrance ... lock the motor to the bike with a cable and lock the bike to a sign, parking meter, or whatever's available ... then cover the whole shooting match with the ugly cover and tie it down a little here and there. Should at least keep the kids from poking around.

I've also seen little battery powered alarms that go off when jiggled or moved. One of these could be placed on the bike somewhere under the cover. If the bike gets moved a little it would go off.

To protect my stuff at home at night ... I have lots of motion detector activated security lights all around the garage. You can buy these at Wallyworld for about $10 each. I also mounted these inside the garage and on some I replaced the light bulbs with those screw in electrical outlets. Into these outlets I plug in clock radios turned up nice and loud ... of course they come on only if the motion detector detects someone. So there's lots of light and noise for any midnight callers. Daytime I just rely on locks, chains and good neighbors when I'm not home.

Too bad we have to worry about such things.

.trk.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Tom on Motoredbikes got his bike stolen from in front of his Apt. The bastards cut the metal bicycle rack that the bike was chained to!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
For leaving a bike in a store parking lot for a short time I've often thought that a ratty-looking canvas or nylon cover for the whole bike would be a good theft deterent. Park near a busy entrance ... lock the motor to the bike with a cable and lock the bike to a sign, parking meter, or whatever's available ... then cover the whole shooting match with the ugly cover and tie it down a little here and there. Should at least keep the kids from poking around.

I've also seen little battery powered alarms that go off when jiggled or moved. One of these could be placed on the bike somewhere under the cover. If the bike gets moved a little it would go off.

To protect my stuff at home at night ... I have lots of motion detector activated security lights all around the garage. You can buy these at Wallyworld for about $10 each. I also mounted these inside the garage and on some I replaced the light bulbs with those screw in electrical outlets. Into these outlets I plug in clock radios turned up nice and loud ... of course they come on only if the motion detector detects someone. So there's lots of light and noise for any midnight callers. Daytime I just rely on locks, chains and good neighbors when I'm not home.

Too bad we have to worry about such things.

.trk.

Thanks MM!! That is a great double shot! Yes indeed.. If it has a cover that will help and knowing me... LOL air raid siren!!! Yeeee HAWWWWWW! Funny.. I love tormenting crooks.. I am not hip on killing folks unless they come in to the house but emotional torture.. ahhhh They might wet themselves with strobes, load double ambulance sirens and a small capacitor charge for kicks.

Ok all done .. That felt good.

.flg.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Just had another thought ... not that it applys here but it's good for a chuckle ... I used to work for guy who had a sign on the back of his van that simply said "Danger - 600 Volts".
There was nothing "electrical" in the van but
he said he never had any tools stolen.
I guess it pays to advertise!
.trk.

Last edited: