California

GoldenMotor.com

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
today i went down to the DMV,and got a copy of the Motorcycle handbook, and looked in there, and what it says regarding our creations :) is that they are exempt from registration,insurance,and plates, and that we have to be 16,and have a helmet . that's it. i' also asked the supervisor over there at the DMV, and she looked it up for me, and she told me that what is said in the book is true and to keep a copy of the handbook in my back pocket when i ride.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Be careful. A registration person at DMV does not always know about licensing. Technically, the MB's should be registered as a home built vehicle with the Application for Title and Registration. The bikes were not designed to be a "motorized bicycle" or "moped" so they "could" fall in a home built category.

The Sheriff or PD can pull you over and ask for an M2 License which is a moped/scooter license.

My dad worked for the DMV and he says that the registration person you talked to is correct and the license person could be correct. But it does depend on the officer who pulled you over if he knows what you're riding. Rule of thumb when I ride is not to attract unwanted attention by speeding or loud noises. Follow traffic laws and we would have been able to avoid any tickets in CA. Rumor has it though that starting January, stricter laws will be initiated in CA for motorized bicycles.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
Be careful. A registration person at DMV does not always know about licensing. Technically, the MB's should be registered as a home built vehicle with the Application for Title and Registration. The bikes were not designed to be a "motorized bicycle" or "moped" so they "could" fall in a home built category.

The Sheriff or PD can pull you over and ask for an M2 License which is a moped/scooter license.

My dad worked for the DMV and he says that the registration person you talked to is correct and the license person could be correct. But it does depend on the officer who pulled you over if he knows what you're riding. Rule of thumb when I ride is not to attract unwanted attention by speeding or loud noises. Follow traffic laws and we would have been able to avoid any tickets in CA. Rumor has it though that starting January, stricter laws will be initiated in CA for motorized bicycles.
uh oh! more laws :D rotfl i have a M1 licence so i should be fine if they pull me over. and i just thought about it...i have a M! but no class c so i can ride a Bike but not drive a car :D

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
uh oh! more laws :D rotfl i have a M1 licence so i should be fine if they pull me over. and i just thought about it...i have a M! but no class c so i can ride a Bike but not drive a car :D
It sucks with the possibility of more laws. But we do have it easier than some other places where mirrors and lights are mondatory.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Rule of thumb when I ride is not to attract unwanted attention by speeding or loud noises. Follow traffic laws and we would have been able to avoid any tickets in CA. Rumor has it though that starting January, stricter laws will be initiated in CA for motorized bicycles.
Good rule of thumb!(^)
Now, what's this rumor you're talking about?

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Good rule of thumb!(^)
Now, what's this rumor you're talking about?
My dad had mentioned that all motorized vehicles will need registration if the the new amendment passes legislation in CA. This will include go carts, go peds, and motorized bikes. Currently, a registered motorized bike or go ped will need one if it's over 50cc's (Currently, I am lying to any deputy or PD and saying mine is a 49cc. They don't really know).

Starting Jan, if it passes, all will need one. It's $18 and it's a one time registration fee for the vehicle and you are issued special plates. Along with the registration, an M2 license may be required.

My dad isn't too sure as he has been out of the loop and only heard it on passing. Dad is a believer in regulation by the DMV because it brings in money for the state :D . We are seeing more and more motorized bicycles in town here and I will be surprised if the city doesn't tighten up.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
if you ride without mirrors i think your odds of being an old rider go way down. like wearing flip flops, it is your choice.
dude i haven't ridden a bike (motorized or normal) with closed toe shoes on for years. even while racing. i found the best ones are rockport keegans, they are comfortable,stylish and functional. here's what they look like. Amazon.com: Rockport Men's Keegan Sandal: ROCKPORT: Shoes
i found them for 20 at ross.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
More Taxation is a good thing? They waste so much because they get money so easily from people. More laws to raise taxes sounds like a bad deal to me. It will not help anybody ride safer or bike run better.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
More Taxation is a good thing? They waste so much because they get money so easily from people. More laws to raise taxes sounds like a bad deal to me. It will not help anybody ride safer or bike run better.
Check to see if the new legislation shows up locally or statewide. If it does, vote against it. We lost a great dirt riding trail in the desert because the Bureau of Land Management decided no more riding. The locals didn't know and therefore didn't vote. Announcements are not made. I'll try and find out more if I can.

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
today i went down to the DMV,and got a copy of the Motorcycle handbook, and looked in there, and what it says regarding our creations :) is that they are exempt from registration,insurance,and plates, and that we have to be 16,and have a helmet . that's it. i' also asked the supervisor over there at the DMV, and she looked it up for me, and she told me that what is said in the book is true and to keep a copy of the handbook in my back pocket when i ride.
Careful please: Page 3 states that 406(b) is exempt: That is an ebike that is less than 1000 watts. Gas engines are 406(a) and are covered under Moped laws. These need to be licensed, DOT approved helmet and a license. The person at dmv is incorrect.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
Careful please: Page 3 states that 406(b) is exempt: That is an ebike that is less than 1000 watts. Gas engines are 406(a) and are covered under Moped laws. These need to be licensed, DOT approved helmet and a license. The person at dmv is incorrect.
they said that requirements for 406a are the same as the ones for 406b, and i went to my local PD today and they said as long as I'm following traffic laws and wear a helmet,they wont bother me.

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
they said that requirements for 406a are the same as the ones for 406b, and i went to my local PD today and they said as long as I'm following traffic laws and wear a helmet,they wont bother me.
You are fortunate that your local PD feels that way. Use caution when traveling into another Pd jurisdiction or meeting the CHP. Good news for all of us, the California law is so poorly written that we may get away with it most of the time. The problem only arises when we get nabbed. :bike2:

Check this out:

Motorized bicycle plates

Last edited:

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
dooooooooooooooood, im calling my local "fuz" today to see about the laws here... or at lease what they will enforce in my town.