Bogging

GoldenMotor.com

Guest_5

Jul 13, 2021
I have a 49cc motorbike with a HP carburetor and I’m bogging at full throttle so Im asking for confirmation to know if I’m getting too much gas or air into the Carb?

I live in Willow Springs area and I plan on buying a 20 jet kit so I have have it for winter and summer.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Bigger? So if it comes with a 70 and bogs/sputters I should go bigger?

I am glad I read this cuz i was gonna go smaller, like 65 ot 68.

I live in Sacramento about 50 feet above sea level... What would you suggest bro.

Being I am only 50 feet above venice what works for you should work for me theoretically.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Let me be a little more specific...
If it totally loses power when you punch the throttle, it's probably too small on the jets
If it feels 'sputtery' at full throttle, it might be too big on the main jet.

A good way to tell is by removing the air filter & riding it for a mile or two...
If it runs better, then the jets are too big... if it's worse, the jets are too small.

Reactions: Denis Zen

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Very good. Thank you gentlemen. I noticed bikeberry sells a jet kit of 5 that go from 65 to 70 but they are out with no projected restock date. Do you know any place else that sells them in small increments from 65 66 67 68 69 70? I have been contemplating buying a drill bit set and doing my own but from what I hear it needs to be pretty precise.

Any thoughts?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Very good. Thank you gentlemen. I noticed bikeberry sells a jet kit of 5 that go from 65 to 70 but they are out with no projected restock date. Do you know any place else that sells them in small increments from 65 66 67 68 69 70? I have been contemplating buying a drill bit set and doing my own but from what I hear it needs to be pretty precise.

Any thoughts?
Here are a few on ebay

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
God I searched high and low for those. I love you guys!!!! WOOP WOOP!
I'm not quite sure why they don't give you a #67, but, if you are really interested you can make your own. All you need is some solder and a micro drill set. Just put some solder over the jet hole and then drill it out to the size you want.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
With these cheap 2-stroke carbs, I prefer to solder & drill my jets... With the big 4-stroke engines (& motorcycles), I bought a nice jet kit.

When you solder & drill... only use a tiny 'pin head' size bit of solder!!! It helps to keep the jets original shape & internal size & it's easier to drill.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Yes you are both correct and I considered doing that. I build bronze sculptures and am very steady handed and will more than likely go this direction if I need to.

I am almost embarrassed to say... I removed my air filter like homie suggested to see if I was bogging or sputtering ( needed a larger or smaller jet) and it was my air filter that was impeding my airflow.

It gets right up to 42 mph and fires spot on almost 95% of the time, if it sputters I let off and feather it to wide open and its smooth as silk.

I am sorry for not being wise enough yet to know to check these little things we (NOOBS) assume are granted. But WE have hopefully created a post that will be helpful to all who follow in our paths.

I owe a special thanks to both of you for your time and consideration AND WISDOM.

I am proud to be part of your community.

Golf clap to you both.

Sincerely, me! =)