Board Track dimensions/length

GoldenMotor.com

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
Hey Everyone, Ive got a couple bike builds under my belt so far but as I move forward i am trying to improve and gain more and more knowledge. I understand the power of the internet but I am having difficulty finding info regarding on dimensions of some of these old bikes. I want something a little larger than a standard cruiser bicycle. Can anyone share some knowledge with me on the length of some of these old bikes, perhaps starting from the front tire to the rear tire?? Thank you everyone

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Fuller, the wheelbase was longer and tire sizes larger than current cruiser bicycle frame setups and varied some between manufacturers. 55" axle to axle length was common & 27.5" x 2.5" or 2.75" tire sizes pretty much the standard. Board track racing bikes on loop frames were 4" frame to ground clearance & 30" saddle height with tank top three or four inches higher. Again these are ball park numbers and individual racers varied. I've stretched two of my bikes to 53" & they ride great compared to the more typical 48" bicycle frame. Straight line stability at higher speeds is much improved, but remember that wheelbase is only one factor in bike stability and won't cover for other frame design flaws. I stick with 26" wheels because of the wide selection of tires available, but if you like the wide and tall look 26" wheels mounted with three inch wide tires stand about 28" tall, but I think they look funny mounted on the front and not a lot of selection of forks to fit these wide and tall tires and a frame stretch would be required on most rear triangles to run them even with 135mm axle drops.

Custom frame & forks is the way to go when trying to match these dimensions. Also keep in mind that the motors were huge when compared to a small single cylinder 2 or 4 cycle engine. The tiny engines mounted in a big frame isn't an authentic or appealing look in my opinion.

Have fun!

Rick C.

fullerg86

Oct 17, 2019
Hi Fuller, the wheelbase was longer and tire sizes larger than current cruiser bicycle frame setups and varied some between manufacturers. 55" axle to axle length was common & 27.5" x 2.5" or 2.75" tire sizes pretty much the standard. Board track racing bikes on loop frames were 4" frame to ground clearance & 30" saddle height with tank top three or four inches higher. Again these are ball park numbers and individual racers varied. I've stretched two of my bikes to 53" & they ride great compared to the more typical 48" bicycle frame. Straight line stability at higher speeds is much improved, but remember that wheelbase is only one factor in bike stability and won't cover for other frame design flaws. I stick with 26" wheels because of the wide selection of tires available, but if you like the wide and tall look 26" wheels mounted with three inch wide tires stand about 28" tall, but I think they look funny mounted on the front and not a lot of selection of forks to fit these wide and tall tires and a frame stretch would be required on most rear triangles to run them even with 135mm axle drops.

Custom frame & forks is the way to go when trying to match these dimensions. Also keep in mind that the motors were huge when compared to a small single cylinder 2 or 4 cycle engine. The tiny engines mounted in a big frame isn't an authentic or appealing look in my opinion.

Have fun!

Rick C.
Wonderful info Rick!! Thank you very much! I agree with your statement regarding engines of choice in todays world. Depending what you can find/purchase/afford there are many choices but not like we can all just go purchase an old excelsior engine. What little bit of knowledge I gain bit by bit it makes me want to keep learning and building, and failing.. haha, and then building again! Thanks again.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Fullerg86,

My thought is the fastest way to get an excellent board track frame is to contact Pat at Sportsman Flyer. I'll include a link. He holds two land speed records from the Bonneville Salt Flats using this frame and he has a group of parts to fit a 212 Predator engine into the frame as well. Harbour Freight sells the motors for around $99 with coupons and they are Honda clones with lots of speed parts available from various sellers.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

http://www.sportsmanflyer.com/ He also has an ad at the top of the page.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Kind words Curt and Moto,
Truth be told the 80 only has a couple hours on it and nowhere broke in but here in the Kettle Moraine section of SE Wisconsin some of the Eskers are darn steep and 3hp is a barely maker.

So until Mona got a Myeloma my Spring project was to send AGK a stripped 80 Predator and let him do his magic. https://affordablegokarts.com/colle...roducts/modified-79cc-predator-engine-stage-2
All the mods are pretty much as per Pat Dolan.
Especially decking the head .050" which gains 2hp.
Waiting to see what Medicare covers + supplemental.
A tricked out engine is soo tempting.

Fullerg86, hope some of my BS is usefull.
Tom