Bike won’t idle and loss of compression

GoldenMotor.com

MotorcyclesMan!

May 8, 2019
Hi everybody it’s been a while since I last posted but this problems driving me crazy. So my first build which has been solid for 2 years just gave up on me about 2 months ago. The bike just wouldn’t start so I do the usual trouble shooting and change the plug as there was no spark. Now the winging starts but a whole boat load of problems begin the bike has no where near the power as before and only runs in wide open throttle after pedaling to get it some speed. The bike will not idle and misfires occasionally. I have replaced every single seal on the engine changed the cdi the magneto the plug oiled and regressed everything cleaned the carb tried a different carb. I checked for air leaks on the engine possible warped head and head gasket and couldn’t find anything. I have disassembled the muffler and cleaned it and used a different one all together and I also got rid of the kill switch and nothing will get the bike back to where it once was. I could try a top end rebuild but I don’t want to unless I have to. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Testname111

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Larry has you on the right track, I would check the compression. That will tell you if the rings are sealing. I have the type gauge that has the hose that screws into the head, I can then tape it to the tank so I can see it as I pedal. Be sure to open the throttle to allow air to be drawn to get an accurate test. From 80 psi up will run ok.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you don't have a gauge Autozone has a tool rental program where you pay a deposit then get a refund when you return it.

MotorcyclesMan!

May 8, 2019
Hey sorry for the late response I just got a compression gauge how exactly do I use it. Take spark plug out plug this in do I leave choke closed or open. And if I’m doing this stationary without riding how would I go about it. Thanks