Bike starts up as if it ant to start!

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The screw only keeps the gear in place, you have a key way to keep the gear from turning just like the mag side. The clutch big gear and the chain sprocket have keys as well.

T james

Nov 6, 2017
So the drive gear not spinning is something internal going wrong with crankshaft itself? Because I'm aware of the woodruff key and it is in place. And it still stops reacting to big clutch gear at some point. Then rotate again.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
To adjust the clutch first remove the small screw at the flower nut at the center of the big gear, pull in the clutch lever and lock it. Turn the flower nut in or clockwise one slot at a time till you have no slippage.

Reactions: T james

T james

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks guys. I got her running. Just bogs like ****. Trying to get it to start accelerating. Had to tighten flower wheel quite a few times, but who cares. I'm going to change jet from 68 to 66. Since so much bogging and spark plug was black. And spark plug gap from 25 to 30. But 1 step at a time. So if it stops again. I can reverse what I've done. Thanks guys!!

T james

Nov 6, 2017
Ok, so I've made NGK B5HS spark plug gap smaller than .20 of an inch. Because .20 gap bogg like **** starting up. And I had to pedal a lot to get it to start reacting to throttle like it should. So I also tried .25 gap. Which only made matters worse. Main jet is 68. C-clip set to notch before richest mixture. Cylinder has been ported by hand. My problem now is. It starts up no problem and boggs a little before catching to start accelerating. But it seems my top end (about 20 mph) goes no further than 3/4 throttle. As in after I pull in 3/4 a throttle rpm seems to increase anymore. Even with throttle wide open. So I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be adjusted to obtain performance I had with stock everything (27 mph bone rattling tho lol minus the intense vibration). Idk what size jet was stock but it seemed to work better than the 66 and 68 I've tried. Just open to any suggestions and diagnostics. Will post video of me riding it for better explaination tomorrow.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If it bogs at full throttle you probably need a smaller jet. Raising or lowering the needle clip controls the mixture from idle to 3/4 throttle. So try a jet with a smaller orifice not number till you start getting more top end. Be careful to check the plug color to keep from getting it too lean, the porcelain should be light to medium brown. After you get the jet right move the needle up or down till it runs right, a 71 is what most stock jets are.

T james

Nov 6, 2017
If it bogs at full throttle you probably need a smaller jet. Raising or lowering the needle clip controls the mixture from idle to 3/4 throttle. So try a jet with a smaller orifice not number till you start getting more top end. Be careful to check the plug color to keep from getting it too lean, the porcelain should be light to medium brown. After you get the jet right move the needle up or down till it runs right, a 71 is what most stock jets are.
It doesn't bogg at full throttle. Bogs a little starting up and takes a little pedaling to get it to start accelerating. The problem is it just seems to stop accelerating after 1/2 throttle. Like 1/2 throttle sounds just like it does at full throttle. I have a 68 jet in now. The biggest that came with jet kit I have is 70. So I'll put stock back in there. Because it had good bottom end and top end with stock everything. Only difference now is I've ported it.

T james

Nov 6, 2017
Ok, I topped at at 30mph once. When I put in B8HS n c-clip to a notch before leanest mixture. Instead of B5HS n c-clip @ a notch before richest mixture. Which was bogging out like **** when I start motor and accelerate. So its much better can hear difference in each 1/4 of throttle. But I'll attempt to get back up to 30mph. But Im still at break in. So maybe I'll wait til 1 more gallon of breakin mixture 16:1. Before attempting anymore adjustments. 20-25mph on flat will due for now. Beats the **** out of that week of manually pedaling lol! Again thanks guys!!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You may want to go to 24/1 on the next gallon and see if that helps, I start at 24/1 with all new engines. After break in I run 32/1 with a good oil formulated for air cooled engines.

T james

Nov 6, 2017
I think so too! A more combustible mix will help. Plus the fuel I had was about 2 or 3 weeks old. Not sure it that make much of a difference. But I'll try your suggestion next fill up.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Makes a big difference 87 octane will accumulate water over night, unless you add a adative i use Sea Foam. Work on lawn mowers drain and clean gas in tank she used it to mow once. Brought it back, wherever she got the gas turned to water over night.
Do what Greg says you will be fine..............Curt

T james

Nov 6, 2017
I use highest grade as suggested. But I'll add additive to my next fill up. What grade gas you thinks best?

T james

Nov 6, 2017
Ok, I'm going to a 36T sprocket. I think I'm going to stick with stock carb. Since Ive seen a lot of people get good results. Asap I'm going to change stock muffler. Since its so restricting. Trying to get back up to about 30mph. Idk what it was, but I haven't been able to get 30mph out of her since smh. But like I said I'm grateful for 23mph (still open to suggestions for more speed tho lol). Any suggestions on how to stop the motor from interfering with computer? Some say stop motor from grounding to frame. I'm thinking if I put rubber in between computer sensor and display screen where they mount to bike instead will do it...

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The best improvement will be a exhaust upgrade, some of the stock mufflers are very restrictive. Now that you have it running the more you ride the better it should get.